First brew fast fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bettybeers

Reaction score
I'm brewing my first beer, which is a Mangrove Jack's Golden Ale (basic kit and kilo), and it has been fermenting for 7 days. My OG was 1.048 but dropped to 1.016 after 4 days. Just took another reading (day 7) and it hasn't moved, still sat at 1.016 which by my calculations makes it approx 4.2abv. The estimated abv on the instructions was 4.4, but I swapped out the kilo of brewing sugar for a brew enhancer 2 which may explain the slight drop in percentage?

My question: Is it normal for a brew to finish fermentation in 4 days? Should I leave it for another few days (does that add anything)? Brew temp was 22 degrees.

Thanks all

I'm brewing my first beer, which is a Mangrove Jack's Golden Ale (basic kit and kilo), and it has been fermenting for 7 days. My OG was 1.048 but dropped to 1.016 after 4 days. Just took another reading (day 7) and it hasn't moved, still sat at 1.016 which by my calculations makes it approx 4.2abv. The estimated abv on the instructions was 4.4, but I swapped out the kilo of brewing sugar for a brew enhancer 2 which may explain the slight drop in percentage?

My question: Is it normal for a brew to finish fermentation in 4 days? Should I leave it for another few days (does that add anything)? Brew temp was 22 degrees.

Thanks all

Completely normal for it to be done making alcohol but just because the gravity isn't moving doesn't necessarily mean it's finished. The yeast are still active clearing up off flavours and the like, and if you hold off for another week or so you will get a much better final product.

Lots of brewer's use the 2/2/2 rule as a guide (different styles like darker or higher alcohol beers can take longer). 2 weeks fermentation, 2 weeks carbing and 2 weeks somewhere cold to condition. After which you should have the best chances of having a pint you're proud to drink.

That's really helpful thanks. I'll leave it for another week before I bottle. I'm Impressed with the taste so far, so fingers crossed it keeps getting better

Latest posts

Back