First brew into keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Kegged or the first time earlier today, got it done but those corny lids don't want to seal, do they? Anyway, it's out in the garage, on 'set and forget'. It's 9-11C out there and the BrewersFriend calculator recommended 8.3 PSI but has no suggestion as to how long to leave it. Seen suggestions for anywhere between one and two weeks. All advice welcome...

BTW, it's a dark mild, low ABV.

Two weeks is a good bet for letting the beer clear and condition and it will carb up in that time (think 2-2-2 method but your doing the last two twos at the same time). But seeing as it's your first keg I'd say leave it 4 days then start tasting it every day "for science".

P.s. I'm drinking a 2.8% Dark Mild as I type this :beer1:

There must be a few different types of lid out there because the lids on my AEB reconditioned kegs seal no problem at all without the help of internal pressure.

Having some experience with o-rings and much higher pressures than we encounter I still shudder at the thought of any o-rings being used dry. A food-grade silicone grease should always be applied (e.g. brewer's lube).

A bit of keg lube on the seal, give it 30 psi and pick it up by the locking handle to seat the seal properly.
Exactly what I do, never had a problem with them sealing & pretty much straight away.

To the OP, 2 weeks at serving pressure is perfect.

Personally I do a half and half technique just to speed things along a little that being 24 hours at my primary regulator pressure (about 40 psi), then drop to serving pressure (about 7 psi for an ale) for a week and it's then ready to drink. Note this is usually a keg that has been filled many weeks before it gets put into my keg fridge so it's already had time to condition.

Most of the messing around was done when the keg still had percarbonate in it so there was no panic at this point. I'd watched a youtube video where the fella had fitted the lid and then squirted with soapy water and put a bit of Co2 in there. When it leaked he just twisted it round slightly by holding on to the 'feet'. Looked a doddle but there was no way mine was going to twist around.

So back to youtube and found the 30 PSI and lift tip which worked.

I'll get some lube in for my next effort.

Thanks, all.

I think I'd expected it to need less than two weeks as there's no secondary fermentation going on. It's no big deal, I've managed to learn patience with the bottles and there's no immediate wait for the co2 cylinder. Two weeks it is!

You could force carb it and drink it tomorrow :laugh8:
Yeah, I looked at that but there doesn't seem to much control over it. Some ended up with over-carbonated beer with a funny bite to it and then had to wait anyway while it sorted itself out. Not that I feel much in control of what I'm doing now, of course...

When you fill your keg and add the pressure to carbonate, do you leave the Gas bottle connected for the 2 weeks or do you check and top it up every few days?

Cheers

buddsy

I set mine for the temperature at the time in the Brewer's Friend Keg Carbonation Calculator, 9 PSI in this case based on a temperature of 7C. I then left it connected, which I understand is the right way to go. 🤞

Trouble is, the temperature has gone up and I don't know whether to increase the pressure accordingly...

Last edited:
what I have found with corny kegs is that although the lid looks like it can go on any way from the shape there really is only one proper way round. Keg lube is a worthwhile investment to maintain all your fittings and seals. I personally brew mostly very hoppy beers so I will force carb for 3 days at around 30psi then release pressure and set then to serving pressure and they are usually fine the carbonation does improver over time but its still perfectly fine. after you have filled your keg and are pumping CO2 in make sure to "burp" the keg to force out any unwanted air from filling (Assuming you are not pressure filling)

Yeah, I looked at that but there doesn't seem to much control over it. Some ended up with over-carbonated beer with a funny bite to it and then had to wait anyway while it sorted itself out. Not that I feel much in control of what I'm doing now, of course...

I use a carb stone, its a bit slower then shaking but you get more control.

yep connected, the CO2 will slowly be absorbed into the beer so having it on the regulator will allow some more to fill in the headspace as its absorbed applying pressure to basically carbonate your beer

Latest posts

Back