First brew underway

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If that top photo is indicative of the rest, I'd say you've left a lot more headspace than you need with more opportunity for oxidation. 1-1.5 cm is enough.
Yeah agree there AA, also might be worth checking your hydrometer in 20°C water and check it's on 1.000 as 1.030 is low OG and 1.002 also low FG.

Yes,spotted the headspace in the bottle, I'm sure they'll be fine but aim to fill into the neck, I use a bottling wand, fill to the top of bottle ,pull wand out and they're perfect.Well done though on first brew and second straight underway .athumb..

Because i ALWAYS use a starter i never have pitching anxiety
or for that matter failed ferments.

Dont wish to preach but an active starter really is worth its weight in gold.

Well done and enjoy your first brew which you’ll be drinking in a month. I have just started my 3rd beer which is a Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit IPA. My second one is conditioning out in my garage and I’m enjoying my first brew. Nothing like drinking your own beer.

Yes,spotted the headspace in the bottle, I'm sure they'll be fine but aim to fill into the neck, I use a bottling wand, fill to the top of bottle ,pull wand out and they're perfect.Well done though on first brew and second straight underway .athumb..
Thanks I'll do on the next batch, I did use a wand but didn't think about having too much head space.

Having done some research I can see my readings have not been accurate as they have not always been on at or around 20deg. I understand having the final 2 readings the same is the important part for me on these kits unless I haveiss understood - any other reasons for the OG other than abv calc?

Yeah agree there AA, also might be worth checking your hydrometer in 20°C water and check it's on 1.000 as 1.030 is low OG and 1.002 also low FG.
So if I'm reading this right (which I may not be) that this is lower than 1.000 about about 0.995 and so slightly out as I should see some yellow?

IMG_20210201_085810.jpg

IMG_20210201_083916.jpg

IMG_20210201_085958.jpg

Back