First Cider - Questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening all,

I received a Victors Mixed Berry kit for Christmas, however having read some less-than-stellar reviews and being of a tinkering persuasion I decided to make some additions.

1 Victors Mixed Berry Kits
2l Tesco 100% Apple Juice
2l Tesco Forest Fruits Juice
500l Tea (made from two bags - not sure this is needed, but seen it on most recipes I've read on here)

Mangrove Jack's Cider Yeast (used all the contents of 10g).

Topped up with water to achieve ~14l @ 1.055.

I was expecting fermentation to start quickly, but it doesn't appear to have done. Unfortunately I'm not sure what it should look like.

Yeast was pitched about 48 hours ago. I've taken a sample and the juice (is there a cider equivalent of wort?) is quite fizzy so sure there is some carbonation - unfortunately this is interfering with the gravity reading. The lid has bulged so I'm sure something is happening.

This has raised some questions or me. How long do kits/supermarket juice generally take to ferment out? Should a krausen form like with ale yeasts? Should I have added yeast nutrient?

I checked before buying and neither of the juices listed preservatives on their ingredients, so hopefully that's correct and there isn't any yeast killer in the juice.

Sounds okay to me so just leave it alone in a nice warm dark place and let the yeast get on with the job.

In answer to the questions:

Fermentation can start very slowly so 72 hours wouldn't be "too" long.

The lid has bulged so I presume that there isn't an airlock fitted. In this case I recommend that you lift a corner of the lid to let the CO2 escape and in future either fit an air-lock or use clingfilm to cover the FV.

A krausen may form or it may not. It all depends on the type of yeast being used.

Yes, you should have added a bit of yeast nutrient at the beginning. It's still not too late ... :thumb:

... but every time you open the FV you risk ruining the brew with a wild yeast infection; especially in summer so the choice is yours.

Enjoy. :thumb:

This has raised some questions or me. How long do kits/supermarket juice generally take to ferment out? Should a krausen form like with ale yeasts? .

There isn't a lot of difference in time from beer/cider/wine, sugar content/heat are the biggest contributors to time as with beers. One thing you will need to think about is the sweetness/dryness and back sweetening it and if you want flat or fizzy, some cider yeasts do come with pre added sweetener. The "krausen" is more likely to be large protein clumps formed from the fermenting fruit content rather than a big thick foamy head like an ale.

Thanks for your replies. I'll be kegging once it's done. Have had a little read of backsweetening with sweetener, any practical guide on amount to use would be welcome though.

Thanks for your replies. I'll be pegging once it's done. Have had a little read of backsweetening with sweetener, any practical guide on amount to use would be welcome though.

I use this
http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/cider-yeast-with-sweetener-p-883.html
at 1/2 a packet per gallon, what the breakdown of sweetener used in it is i don't know, nor what type of sweetener it is, it doesn't give a sweet cider though more a medium dry, a packet of it weighs 10g. Everyone has different tastes, you could try several bottles with varying amounts in each to see what one suits you best which would give you a good reference for further brews.

Latest posts

Back