First country wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nige

Regular.
Reaction score
Well I've started a parsnip 3kilo boiled till slightly soft but firm strained onto a kilo of dextrose 2kg sugar 500g demara. Sliced 5 bananas and a kilo of chopped sultanas. A small cup of cloudy apple juice, 1 crushed campden, 1 tsp pectolase, 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient, so this is in fv made up to a gall, leave overnight. I'm thinking of adding tomorrow 2kg bananas but this time boiled for 10 mins add this then chop another kilo of sultanas boiled with sugary water for about ten mins then put sultanas in fv ant continue to boil sultana sugary liquid until just after foaming about 30 min to caramelise but not burn. Add this then assess how much boiled water to add a gallon or 2. So mabe 2 or three gall in fementor, let it cool and pitch starter

From the look of your recipe there seems to be plenty of sugar for 3gall so i would go with that.

Keep an eye on your starting gravity most yeasts dont like it too high

12-14% alc is a good target

Last edited:
Yes I think so but I do want a good abv kick to this, I've bacicaly put two recipes together, fingers crossed. Thanks for the reply.

Hmm If you want high abv its best to add the extra sugar in small doses towards the End of fermentation NOT at the start.

The technique is called sugar feeding,I have described it in full before on this forum, but there will also be plenty of info on the net. i will dig out the thread for you,give me five.

The thread is called" Raisin a question or two. "

There i describe sugar feeding in detail, its the best way for 15-20% abv (Depending on yeast of course)
As lots of sugar at one time can be harmfull to yeast.

Interesting read. I made a parsnip wine last year, different recipe, without bananas etc, but found it to have rather overpowering ester flavours even now. I would recommend that you try to age the bulk of it before drinking, last summer's rhubarb wine was pleasant after 6 months, but far superior now after 18 months.

Re:>MmmBeer,Yes so called "country" wines generally do take a long time to mature its the one drawback,Unless you are very patient by nature and can make decent quantities on a regular basis.
Not only do these wines improve with age,But some can be actually undrinkable at first,Eventually maturing into something wonderfull.

By contrast with a kit (7 day one) you can be drinking in as little as just over a week.
Helps keep a beginners enthusiasm going.:D

Last edited:
So last night I boiled then slowly simmered 1kg of parsnips 5 banannas chopped in skins 500g chopped raisins, I then only used liquor bringing this up to two gallon added juice of 1orange and half of lemon 1tsp wine nutrient and 1 more crushed Camden tab. So do you think there is enough fruit in this before making it up to 3 gallon, hydro reading was 1130 on two gallon whilst very warm last night. I plan to feed bringing the three gallon back up to 1130 but not sure what to put in also should I add boiled water and sprinkle yeast tonight starting it or add more fruit tomorrow another Camden and start it Monday. Advice appreciated.

Simply get it going ASAP
There is nothing to stop you adding more fruit ect.During the fermentation.

Be a bit carefull with the camden,They are not Smarties you know.!!

If we are using the same hydometer scale a sg of 1.130 will be excellent for making treacle.
are you talking about 130 gravity ??

I start off my wines No higher than 1.080 or a gravity of 80 then add more sugar as required during fermentation
dont have to do it this way but i find it foolproof and easy.

No it's 1.130 at two gallon but I could add say 3/4 or 1/2 gal of boiled water to reduce og then add later on?

Thanks nige we are on the same page.
1.130 is indeed high to start off.
You MAY get away with it but i think your fermentation will stop long before all the sugar is used.

I think your best course of action is to make your 2gal up to 3 not adding ANY more sugar and get your fermentation going.

Even at three gallons it will still be a pretty high origional gravity start,you can then add more later.(If your yeast will take it)

By the way its worth mentioning a 12% wine can be fermented out in about a week or so,But 18-19% can take a month or three.

I went through a phase a few years ago trying high alcohol fermentations for sherry and port clones,But i kinda lost intrest a bit due to the slow,unending fermentation required.
I ended up buying cheap brandy and whacking it up to strength that way.

Keep in touch.

Topped it up to 18ltr mark og 1.110 wanted put more bananas in but looks at this rate I'll be just feeding water.

Pitched gervin g4 at that, lid loose, if it struggles I will just add tepid water. I should have just brought it up too 3gal now really, lost the plot a bit.

Last edited:
clapaYes thank you but if it struggles I may end up (reverse feeding) ha:coat:Put In 3/4 of yeast
packet, will that be enough?

Last edited:
I was just going to ask about the yeast funilly enough,Some yeasts wont ferment as high as 16% no matter what you do with them and i dont know about the one you are using.(you could check).

If its one of the wee sachets of wine yeast and we are talking 3gals PUT THE LOT IN.!!!

When the fermentation is finished you will find about half a pound of the stuff in the bottom of your fermenter.

It gervin G4 I'm using, apparently can go as high as 21% Abv but that's a rare limit I'd think, should be OK to 16 I think then take it from there I suppose, yes I'll chuck rest in I only kept a bit of it back in case of problems.

Back