First Crack IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Underbrew

Reaction score
Hi,

After a few years of kits and more recently doing a few 10L BIAB on the stove with mixed success, I decided to purchase a 30L Klarstein Mundschenk as it looks like I'll be spending a fair bit of time in the house in the near future. Been eyeing up at all in one type system for a while but can't really justify the grainfather cost for fear of divorce...

After searching round online to find a supplier with some stock I'm managed to purchase the following: 6KG Maris Otter, 3KG Crystal, 100g Cascade, 100g Chinook, 100g Mosaic.

As it'll be my first crack with the Klarnstein I'm trying to keep it relatively simple, I'm thinking of the following:

5Kg Maris Otter
0.25Kg Crystal Malt

60 Mins Mash at 66c
10 Mins Mash at 77c
60 Min Boil

Additions
60 Mins 35g Chinook
10 Mins 30g Chinook
10 Mins 5g Irish Moss
0 Mins 30g Mosaic
0 Mins 30g Cascade
Dry hop 70g Mosaic
Dry hop 70g Cascade

I'm going for 25L pre boil in the hope to end up with 20L in the FV, I'm not too sure what boil off to expect on these Klarnstein/ACE/Robobrew type units but I'm hoping it'll be about right?

As I said it'll be my first go with the unit so any tips, improvements or comments on the recipe or unit gratefully received!

Thanks,
Matt

I would not waste your Chinook hops on 60 mins bittering also some aroma style hops are not brilliant for this use and can give off different flavours to when used later in the boil.
Are you going for a 23Ltr to the Fv if so you will need approx 28.5 ltrs at pre-boil to give around 23 to the Fv that allows for boil off about 4 for 60 mins and 1.5 to waste/trub with that type of system. Apart from that it looks ok to me a nice standard grainbill

Thanks for the reply, I was going with 20L to the FV as I wasn't sure of the efficiency I'd get on the first attempt, if I can get 23L that would be ideal, I'm not too bothered with it being a really high abv.

Just to clarify are you saying I'd be better with no 60 min hop addition at all and just proceed with the others, or perhaps up the 10 min Chinook?

Thanks.

Hi Matt

I'm not sure what @the baron is suggesting, but I'd disagree ... apart from you telling us what hops you'd bought and not having much of any other hops to use instead, Chinook are a great bittering hop and will deliver a really nice "in yer face", IPA-style bitterness with a hint of resiney-pine ... should be delicious wink... athumb..

Have you used a calculator to put that recipe together? I just chucked it into mine and depending on the efficiency you've assumed/can achieve and the AA% of the hops it's looking like it'll end up around 5.5-6.0% ABV and 50-55 IBUs .. so looking like good numbers for an IPA too. Enjoy your brewday!

Cheers, PhilB

Yes I was suggesting not to waste your good hops on bittering either use a neutral hop or reduce the IBU's by using the chinook as latish additions

Thanks for the replies all, hopefully I'll be able to get it underway this week child care permitting!

Latest posts

Back