First ever brew I Sunday way

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smatt

Reaction score
o_O So my first brew from a tin is starting just waiting for the temp to drop to 25deg so I can add the yeast and then she will be going note the heat pad is off!
EC45CFFB-C090-4AEA-8977-9FE71BC9B3AB.jpeg

Title should say is under way predictive txt changed it to “i Sunday way” :confused.:

* lager Hope that was predictive text too! :oops:

25C is very high for a lager, is that what the instructions say?
What yeast comes with it?

If you are able I would get the temp a lot lower before pitching the yeast.

Nope that’s just my spelling 😂😂 yeah the instructions say get it down to 25 deg and add yeast but it is ready in now I think it’s sitting at 22deg now but in all fairness I’m not sure if I am ready the thermometer right :confused.:

You will all be getting sick of me within a few weeks I am as thick as extract and struggle with day to day life never mind something this challenging aheadbuttacheers.

So as the nite is coming in my lager brew has dropped to 18 deg should I turn the heat pad on for the nite or leave it? The instructions say keep between 18-25 but earlier someone mentioned that it should be brewed cool any ideas on this? Thanks matt
image.jpg

If it's a lager like ale try to keep it as cool as you can during fermentattion, aim for 18 deg and don't worry if it goes a little lower (temperatures are much lower for genuine lager).

Most lager kits come with an ale yeast, rather than a true lager yeast. Lagers are fermented pretty cool, about 9-13°C. If the kit says 18-25 it’s definitely an ale yeast, but I’d still keep it to the lower end of that. 18-20 and you’ll be grand.

Ok I have just been down to Check on the temp and it is 16 going down so I have turned the mat on see if it can be resurrected 😂

Ok I have just been down to Check on the temp and it is 16 going down so I have turned the mat on see if it can be resurrected 😂

There's no need to heat, if you want to avoid temps going too low wrap it in a blanket, 16 deg won't do any harm. Fermentation makes heat, if it's insulated it will get warm by its self and then tomorrow daytime it will get even hotter. High fermentation temperatures will make un-lagerlike flavours so heat is the thing you need to avoid, reasonably low temperatures will just mean it takes a little longer to finish fermenting.

Ok 😂 I better go back down and turn it off then and find something to wrap it in maybe a towel??

Ok 😂 I better go back down and turn it off then and find something to wrap it in maybe a towel??

Towels will be fine, imo it will be ok without but for peace of mind some insulation would be a good idea, it will help prevent it getting too warm in the daytime. Maybe throw a few plastic bottles 3/4 full of water in the freezer tonight and if it goes over 20 deg tomorrow then wrap one or two in there with it.

EDIT: If it gets near 25 look into cooling methods, a brewfridge is the affordable ideal and cooling in the bath is an easy option that works well.

Last edited:
Back