First ever brew just done

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danmac

Regular.
Reaction score
Just done my first ever brew a mangrove jack's American pale ale. Cleaned my fv in and the various bits and bobs in vwp and rinsed them all then cleaned them with chemsan. The pouch was a bit of a bigger to get hot water into to empty all the extract out.one mistake I made was forgetting to take a hydrometer reading but apart from that it was smooth sailing 😁

I did the same thing when I did my first. As long as you gave it a good mix the OG should be more or less what it says on the instructions. I looked it up and it says it's around 4.4% ABV and this site says it should finish at around 1011 so by my calculations that's an OG of around 1045.

(OG = original gravity, your first reading)

I did the same thing when I did my first. As long as you gave it a good mix the OG should be more or less what it says on the instructions. I looked it up and it says it's around 4.4% ABV and this site says it should finish at around 1011 so by my calculations that's an OG of around 1045.

(OG = original gravity, your first reading)
I'm still getting used to the hydrometer lol I only put in 21 litres instead of 23 will that make a difference

Yeah, it will mean your OG is higher and give you a stronger beer when finished as it'll literally be less watered down. I think they call this brewing short but I haven't tried it yet. I'm sure some of the members who have tried it would be able to suggest how much it would affect your OG. You'll probably end up with something 5-5.5% after priming.

Yeah, it will mean your OG is higher and give you a stronger beer when finished as it'll literally be less watered down. I think they call this brewing short but I haven't tried it yet. I'm sure some of the members who have tried it would be able to suggest how much it would affect your OG. You'll probably end up with something 5-5.5% after priming.
I won't complain at that 🤪🤪🤪

Back