First ever Home Kit Brew Directors

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parpot

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi folks, I am totally new to the forum and home beer brewing, although I have made wine in the past.
I have read a topic on Directors but still have further questions. The included instructions say that stage 1 will be between 4-6 days (but i had already decided to leave it for about 2 weeks) or until the reading is constant over a number of days under 1.014, ok all understood so far. Then to syphon into a fresh FV add the stated amount of sugar to the FV and store at 18 -20 for another 3 days and then bottle or keg? I saw something on youtube where the guy questioned this with Muntons and they came back saying it was to get the beer nearer to the commercial bottled beer? I want to bottle about 12 and King Keg the rest so I assume no further sugar is added to either the bottles or the KK, would this be correct?

Firstly well done for ignoring the kit instructions and giving it the full 2 weeks fermentation.
When it comes to bottling / kegging, there are many different techniques (bottle priming, batch priming, cold crashing, bottling buckets, syphons, taps, bottling wands etc.) there are threads elsewhere on this forum, with more opinions than members. But whichever technique you use, you will need to add sugar. In theory you can carbonate a keg purely by injecting CO2, but this is far less likely to dissolve into the beer than natural CO2.

Back