First Extract Brew - Blue Admiral

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdrianTrace

Reaction score
I finally got around to using the adapted Lidl boiler and the 10mm copper pipe cooler I put together 3 years ago before moving house (which did take 2 years!). The boiler has had the thermostat adjusted to give a nice rolling boil with the lid half on :thumb:

Fermentables:
2.5kg Light DME
500g Light Crystal Malt
250g Medium Crystal Malt
25g Chocolate Malt

Hops
10g Admiral (leaf, 16.3% AA) + 10g Topaz (leaf, 16.5% AA) 60 mins
10g Admiral + 10g Topaz 15 min
15g Admiral + 15g Topaz flame out

Grain steeped at 65-70oC for 20mins, then removed. I only added 500g of the extract for the boil (the other 2kg mixed with water and straight into the FV).

Cooled to 20(ish) and S04 pitched, OG 1.043. Brewtarget gave 1.044, so close enough :-) I think I went past the 23l target when I topped up.

I'm aiming for a nice sessionish bitter (4.2% and ~40 IBU, hoppy but not too much). There are no dedicated aroma hops, but both the Admiral and the Topaz have a nice citrussy smell, so I'm hopeful that they can do the job :drink:

I have 3 more brews waiting in the wings: making up for lost time :wink:

I finally got around to using the adapted Lidl boiler and the 10mm copper pipe cooler I put together 3 years ago before moving house (which did take 2 years!). The boiler has had the thermostat adjusted to give a nice rolling boil with the lid half on :thumb:

Fermentables:
2.5kg Light DME
500g Light Crystal Malt
250g Medium Crystal Malt
25g Chocolate Malt

Hops
10g Admiral (leaf, 16.3% AA) + 10g Topaz (leaf, 16.5% AA) 60 mins
10g Admiral + 10g Topaz 15 min
15g Admiral + 15g Topaz flame out

Grain steeped at 65-70oC for 20mins, then removed. I only added 500g of the extract for the boil (the other 2kg mixed with water and straight into the FV).

Cooled to 20(ish) and S04 pitched, OG 1.043. Brewtarget gave 1.044, so close enough :-) I think I went past the 23l target when I topped up.

I'm aiming for a nice sessionish bitter (4.2% and ~40 IBU, hoppy but not too much). There are no dedicated aroma hops, but both the Admiral and the Topaz have a nice citrussy smell, so I'm hopeful that they can do the job :drink:

I have 3 more brews waiting in the wings: making up for lost time :wink:

admiral is nice, i've used it for bittering and at flame out - should be a nice session beer. :drink:

That's good to know, thanks. It's only been in the FV for 3 hours and already I can't wait...

Topaz smells very similar - slightly less orangy fruit aroma, but still citrus.

This has turned out as a good solid bitter and nicely balanced to my taste. I might make it again, or it will be a good basis for an elderflower bitter in a couple of months.

Latest posts

Back