First Full AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joc9410

Reaction score
Have been doing kits then tried small batch all grain before taking the plunge and going full AG with a brewzilla sitting begging to be used. Thought I would break it in easily by buying a pre weighed Belgian Blonde. Kit came with aroung 6.4 kg of lager and aromatic malts 46 g of perle pellet hops and MJ M41 yeast. I was playing around in brew father to get a feel for adding ingredients. According to instructions with kit it says to add 46g of hops at 60 mins. By brewfather calcs this comes out at 41 IBUs which I think is too high for a blonde. Have I calculated correctly? Would it be better to split hops through boil?

Assuming brewing to 21 litres? Looks quite hop heavy, but equally that is a big grain bill (looked up a random hoppy pilsner from a book to hand and that is 4.3kg of malt, and 21g hops (60m) 14g (30m) 22g (0m) and more to dry hop.

So not bonkers, esp with that grain bill.

Assuming brewing to 21 litres? Looks quite hop heavy, but equally that is a big grain bill (looked up a random hoppy pilsner from a book to hand and that is 4.3kg of malt, and 21g hops (60m) 14g (30m) 22g (0m) and more to dry hop.

So not bonkers, esp with that grain bill.
23l is the expected volume

41 IBU is a little high for a Blond especially if you don't want it too bitter, according to Brewers Friend a Blond should be 15-30 IBU so I would go with 25g @ 60 mins and 21g @ 5 mins. Should give you 25 IBU and more aroma from the hops.

41 IBU is a little high for a Blond especially if you don't want it too bitter, according to Brewers Friend a Blond should be 15-30 IBU so I would go with 25g @ 60 mins and 21g @ 5 mins. Should give you 25 IBU and more aroma from the hops.
Thanks Richard. I'm sparging at the moment and that sounds good to me. Will give that a go

Back