First go at brewing beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammy79

Reaction score
Hi I have only brewed wine and cider before. I got a 1.3kg can of Bewitched Amber Ale cheap from an Irish company check out hombrewest.ie.
Anyway I also got some Viking Honey Malta from the same place
As both are slightly out of date should I buy more yeast, if so can anyone recommend a yeast for this Ale?

Also what ratio of malt to sugar and is ordinary table sugar ok or brewing sugar required ?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Cheers, Sam

Thanks I have a 500g bag of crushed Honey Malt not sure how much to add and do you just add it dry the way it is?
Use less. my memory may not be best right now (I blame Duvel Citra) but 15% is maximum, and 5% of the grainbill is better. Malt can be out of date for several months before it gets less good. yeast a few months tops.
5% sugar is not abnormal in a grainbill. It's your first beer brew: please give us something to work with.

Do you have a recipe? Name of the kit?

Thanks, the kit is called Bewitched Amber Ale produced by a company called MrBeer which is a USA firm I think. It is possible I should just follow the instructions on 1.3kg tin(2.86 pounds) with no need for the dry malt I bought separately.
By the way the instructions refer to quarts measures a lot, I think 8.5 quarts is 2 gallon or so giving 16 odd pints?

Thanks they didn't teach that when I was at school many moons ago
I will get the hang of it. I'm looking forward to 16 pints of Alex then hopefully be ok. Putting 40 pints of Cooper lager too...cheers

1 gallon is 4 quarts is 8 pints. 8.5 gallons make 17 pints.

Just to note that a US gallon is smaller than a UK imperial gallon, so if this is an American kit with American instructions, the numbers might need to be adjusted.

8.5 US quarts is 8 litres, which is 14 imperial pints.

Latest posts

Back