First Go At WOW (A.K.A - Supermarket Juice Wine)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So is the rest you add water? I must have made every supermarket juice and I've always used 5litres pure 100% juice whatever juice it may be mixed n matched etc.. should I be saving money? I've had good reviews
Yeah the original WOW recipe advocates 2.5 litres 100% juice and the rest water. I've been using 2litres of 100% and 1 litre of juice drink (without preservatives) and top up with water.

I imagine 5 litres of juice will produce a far 'thicker' solution nearing the consistency of a liquor 🤔

Reducing to half the juice would obviously cut your juice cost in half, but if it works for you it's not a large expense.

Yeah the original WOW recipe advocates 2.5 litres 100% juice and the rest water. I've been using 2litres of 100% and 1 litre of juice drink (without preservatives) and top up with water.

I imagine 5 litres of juice will produce a far 'thicker' solution nearing the consistency of a liquor 🤔

Reducing to half the juice would obviously cut your juice cost in half, but if it works for you it's not a large expense.
I just assume it give good body or vinocisty or whatever it is, rather than a really thin wine, I mean you wouldn't see italians using half grape press juice and half water.. just assumed you should try to make wine at close to 100% juice and sugar as possible, but I will give the half and half a try as I can't say anything on it without my own evidence, so I'll give it a go tomorrow or something

I just assume it give good body or vinocisty or whatever it is, rather than a really thin wine, I mean you wouldn't see italians using half grape press juice and half water.. just assumed you should try to make wine at close to 100% juice and sugar as possible, but I will give the half and half a try as I can't say anything on it without my own evidence, so I'll give it a go tomorrow or something
I get great reviews on my 100% apple wine, they say as if an expensive really Appley cider was 12%

We try to mimic wine so don't use 100% juice which would be very strong tasting there is no right or wrong when it comes to this wine it's down to personal taste.

We try to mimic wine 100% juice would be very strong tasting there is no right or wrong when it comes to this wine it's down to personal taste.
I usually only drink the rum i make, when I drink my wines its usually half and half with lemonade because I'm not much for the winey taste that fruit wines taste stronger seem to taste steinger in anyway, but I'll be starting a half and half today to see if that's maybe more my street, as I prefer ones I make flavoured with lemon zest or lime and mint rather than fruit or juice

After reading this thread, I went out all excited yesterday, to get some supermarket juice for fermenting, only to find very limited stock at my two local supermarkets. Empty shelves, just a few expensive orange juices, so I got a Wilco starter kit: cabernet sauvignon and chardonnay. The fruit juice will have to be my next brew. athumb..

After reading this thread, I went out all excited yesterday, to get some supermarket juice for fermenting, only to find very limited stock at my two local supermarkets. Empty shelves, just a few expensive orange juices, so I got a Wilco starter kit: cabernet sauvignon and chardonnay. The fruit juice will have to be my next brew. athumb..
I suggest with wilko to do 20 litres not 23, unless its the 6 bottle kits make as normal

And yeah the driver shortage is slowly showing everywhere, I think, shelves are bare if most things

I suggest with wilko to do 20 litres not 23, unless its the 6 bottle kits make as normal
I needed a demijohn, but they were out so I got a boxed starter kit with a demijohn and 2 x six bottle packs. It'll get me going anyway. Do the Range sell homebrew equipment? I'll have a look there as well.

I needed a demijohn, but they were out so I got a boxed starter kit with a demijohn and 2 x six bottle packs. It'll get me going anyway. Do the Range sell homebrew equipment? I'll have a look there as well.
Similar amount to wilko, I recommend using brew2bottle.co.uk very cheap and reliable equipment and only about a 5er for next day delivery I think even for large items

They sell a few bits like the syphon/paddle kit below but not much else - Click Here

As Bando says probably best getting an order online many ofthe shops give free postage if you spend £50 - £60.

You can get the discount below but you will need to check they are still working as they were posted a while ago -

7% KegThat.com (www.KegThat.com) Hbfdiscount

5% Home Brew Company 1hbfuk8

10% off Crossmyloof (website only) give me 10 Tom

10% off Bridgewater Brewing THBF10

1586333654_2_9531.jpg

Ok, so here's the results of my efforts so far, Prune is 'odd' but not unpleasant 😂

Attachments

• IMG-20211022-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20211022-WA0003.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20211024-140839_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211024-140839_Gallery.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20211024-140828_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211024-140828_Gallery.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 45
Fantastic - looks great - here's a photo of my recently bottled Raisin Sherry. Always tastes better if you label them up nicely.

Attachments

• IMG_1046[1].JPG
    IMG_1046[1].JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 38
Wow you guys put a lot of effort into your labels.

I mean they look great don't get me wrong.
My first kit went into Gallo Merlot/ Cab Sav bottles with the original labels and I reused the original screw tops 😯

Then my first go at Supermarket Juice Wine were just in Tesco wine carriers with a single label made from a cereal packet and garden string slung around the neck of one bottle and still screw cap lids.

I then realised that I really enjoyed this re-found hobby and bought some corks, then the shrink caps and realised they needed suitable labelling.

It took a fair bit of margin adjustments to finally get my MS Word document aligned with the labels, but got there eventually and I now have a good template. The labels themselves (not inc ink) only add 4p per bottle and a shrink cap 6p.

😊

Back