First Gold Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeg3

Landlord.
Reaction score
Got this on the go today:

4.24kg pale malt
0.14kg chocolate malt

26g first gold 90min
18g first gold 10min

Used 4th generation of the Wye Valley yeast I cultured last year.

14 litre mash at 66℃ for 90 minutes, followed by 18 litre fly sparge at 75℃.

BHE estimated at 67%, so my milling is improving.

All OK until an hour into the boil when I had to leave in an emergency. Switched everything off and left. Got back 3 hours later and presumed that the bittering addition would have done its thing, so brought it back to the boil for the 10 min addition.

OG slightly lower than anticipated, probably as a result of the missing 20 minutes of boil.

Even so, should be about 4%.

I woke the yeast up this morning - it's been asleep in the fridge for 8 weeks, and it was producing CO2 by late afternoon, so chucked it in once the wort had cooled to 25℃

Racked into the keg a few days ago. First taste is very good, it's surprised me how a little amount of choc malt can add a nice malty undertone - and it's a fantastic mid brown colour.

Gonna try the first pint next Friday

Not quite the first pint as I've tested a few halves. But it's ready to drink. Crystal clear, nice rich undertone from the choc malt and a nutty flavour from the pale malt. Fruity hop aroma.

IMAG1531.jpg

Sounds and looks good to me.

Very much the sort of beer I'm brewing at the moment.

I may borrow this very simple recipe!

Since I've been AG brewing and using good quality yeast it's been about three and a half weeks from brewday to conditioned in the barrel.

Obviously darker and stronger beers take longer.

I got the recipe idea from this forum.

Latest posts

Back