First lager is kegged!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phettebs

Landlord.
Reaction score
Two months ago, I brewed my first lager. It was a Classic American Pilsner. I've never had one before because they aren't made anymore but it sounded like a good challenge. Brewing and fermenting process went well. I lagered it for 8 weeks and kegged it on Friday. Had my first glass yesterday. Nice and light gold. The hops are very subtle. I would have liked them to be more pronounced. There's soft corn taste to it from 2lbs of flaked corn. The entire grain bill is just flaked corn and six row malt.

IMAG0328.jpg

Miller makes a beer called "Batch 19" that is supposed to be a Pre-Prohibition lager. It's actually quite good for a Miller product. The wife was drinking it yesterday and I brought up my glass of CAP. She tasted it and actually wanted to switch because she preferred mine to Miller. :thumb: (Probably because Batch 19 is more bitter)

I have another lager to keg this week and then I'll have two on tap.

Baz

Nice one Barry the lager looks really good. If you would like a more pronounced hop flavor maybe kolsch german lager is a good option. The hops really come through in that and it is a really good beer :thumb:

As wendy says, a Kolsch is a good brew for a hophead lager drinker. Use a top fermenting (ale) yeast and you get a cracking beer! Alternatively, get 30g of Saaz and dry hop for the first week of lagering, That'll add the extra hop notes on the nose without risking killing the clean crisp pils taste.

Latest posts

Back