First Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldpathwhiteclouds

Reaction score
I'm doing a Jon Finch Pils from the Malt Miller Kit. Pils – Jon Finch | The Malt Miller

Brewed Friday. Only noticeable difference so far is that it took me ages to cool the wort from 25C which I got to with my immersion chiller to 15C which I got to in my fermentation fridge.

I'm using a Fermzilla All rounder which is what I have.

Questions are:

1. Do I need to get the beer off the trub at some stage if I'm fermenting for 3 weeks? Or can I just keg it when it's finished fermentation?

2. Should I do a Diacetyl rest and if so how? What temp and for how long?

3. Any other tips?

Thanks

I'm doing a Jon Finch Pils from the Malt Miller Kit. Pils – Jon Finch | The Malt Miller

Brewed Friday. Only noticeable difference so far is that it took me ages to cool the wort from 25C which I got to with my immersion chiller to 15C which I got to in my fermentation fridge.

I'm using a Fermzilla All rounder which is what I have.

Questions are:

1. Do I need to get the beer off the trub at some stage if I'm fermenting for 3 weeks? Or can I just keg it when it's finished fermentation?

2. Should I do a Diacetyl rest and if so how? What temp and for how long?

3. Any other tips?

Thanks

No need to move it from the trub. You can gradually raise the temperature near the end of fermentation to around 18/20 degrees, then cold crash for a long as you can before kegging 🍺 hope this helps

This appears to have finished fermenting from my iSpindle readings. Only 9 days at 10C.

shall I raise the temp up to 18C for a couple of days then keg at 10C?

I decided to cold crash before I kegged so I dropped it to 1C for 48 hours (or so).

I then did a closed transfer from my all rounder to my keg. I'm planning on leaving it in my fermenter fridge to condition at 10C as per the recipe.

Wasn't sure what to do about the pressure? It's not primed so won't be producing too much CO2 I guess. I have put a spunding valve on it which is roughly set to 10psi. Is that the best thing to do? Alternatively I could put it in my kegerator at 10C with co2 attached to begin to carbonate it.

Thing is I have a pale ale in there which is probably a little cooler than that and which I want to stay good.

It’s still in the keg at 10c in fermentation fridge. Steady 8 psi.

Recipe says 4 weeks condition at 10c. One week left.

Should I carbonate it now or wait until I get it in kegerator?

I carb and condition at the same time at 6C and 20psi in the corny after transferring from the fermenter. 3-4 weeks and it's ready to go.
Foxbat, what psi do you serve it at? How long is the tubing you use from keg to tap? And if you reduce psi to serve then are you having to crank the gas back up to 20psi so it doesn't lose carbonation for the next time you want a pint?

Foxbat, what psi do you serve it at? How long is the tubing you use from keg to tap? And if you reduce psi to serve then are you having to crank the gas back up to 20psi so it doesn't lose carbonation for the next time you want a pint?
Hi, I always serve and carb at the same pressure. In this case for a lager, 20psi at 6C. I have 2 metres of 3/16" between keg and tap.

Hi thanks, I always have to vent the gas off to serve, as anything over 5psi just comes out as foam. I'm using 1.55m (5' 1") of 3/16th, and use the S30 Co2 bottles. Trouble is I'm wasting a lot of gas.

Hi thanks, I always have to vent the gas off to serve, as anything over 5psi just comes out as foam. I'm using 1.55m (5' 1") of 3/16th, and use the S30 Co2 bottles. Trouble is I'm wasting a lot of gas.
There must be something else going on with your system that's creating nucleation points for CO2 if you're getting foam with 1.55m of 3/16" at anything over 5psi.

Oh one other thing is that I'm using a party tap, could it be that? I've got a better tap that connects straight to my corny, but that foams as well. Do you think it would improve things if I use the better tap on the end of 2m of tubing?

So I did do a diacetyl rest but I think it tastes popcorny.

Not sure where I went wrong with the diacetyl test if so. Maybe heated it up too quickly?

Latest posts

Back