First liquid yeast.... recommendations?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ciaran12s

Regular.
Reaction score
Mornin guys and girls,

Got a brew coming up soon and as I'm putting a full order in, I thought I'd try a liquid yeast and was looking a recommendation on which strain.
Recipe-
4.5kg base malt
500g carapils (to get rid)
300g flaked wheat
300g flaked barley
250g 40l crystal

Challenger at 60(30g) and 10(20g)
EKG 50g at flameout.

OG 1.055
FG 1.010 -1.015

I might mash high or drop the base malt a bit but 5-5.5% ish is ok.

So a liquid yeast recommendation would be lovely. Feel free to critique the recipe as well.

Cheers!

I really like Wyeast London Ale III have used it a few times in a similarish recipe and I really like it.

IMO and I will get shot for this, I believe using yeast like these for English ales are a huge improvement over dry varieties

I love WY1469 West Yorkshire, the supposed Timothy Taylor strain, especially in an English bitter. Seems to harvest well for reuse as well although I've found it attenuates more than is advertised.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Help us narrow it down a bit... do you like dry, sweet, balanced, fruity, hop forward, malt forward?

Do others find this yeast overcarbonates the bottles?
My 1st brew with it definitely carried on fermenting in the bottle & the last few bottles were gushers. My subsequent brews with it have attenuated a good few points further than predicted. I just make sure to leave it 3 weeks in the FV now & give it a good few days at 21-22C after initial fermentation at 18C to get full attenuation.

I read on a thread on HBT that it could be related to saison yeasts so maybe that explains the tendency to overattenuate. Going to try it in a saison & ferment it hot to see if it really does throw off the phenolics.

My 1st brew with it definitely carried on fermenting in the bottle & the last few bottles were gushers. My subsequent brews with it have attenuated a good few points further than predicted. I just make sure to leave it 3 weeks in the FV now & give it a good few days at 21-22C after initial fermentation at 18C to get full attenuation.

I read on a thread on HBT that it could be related to saison yeasts so maybe that explains the tendency to overattenuate. Going to try it in a saison & ferment it hot to see if it really does throw off the phenolics.

I ferment at 18c for 3 weeks but never raise the temperature at the end.
Will give it a try next time :thumb:

I'm just using "West Yorkshire" for the first time. Still a couple of points over expected FG but the flavours already coming across from the yeast are outstanding. But "West Yorkshire" has an "Achilles' Heel": It's described as a strong "top fermenter" and does tend to try and escape closed fermenters hence lots of talk about "blow-off tubes". I didn't think I'd have a problem fermenting 45L in a 70L conical - but I woke up today and fitted an improvised "blow-off tube" quick. Dropped temperature from 19C to 18C too. It should be FG by teatime (it was pitched teatime two days ago. That's 1.056 to <1.018 in 48 hours; fast, but not exceptional in my experience).

I'm casking, so not worried about the reported tendency to "over-carbonate". But if bottling the "Fuller's" yeast seems to be a good one (I've used WLP002) as it drops like a stone and I've heard "cements" itself to the bottom of bottles. Flavours WLP002 imparts are rather more subtle and I was rather disappointed by the "improvements" over dried yeast, but I recently went back to dried S-04 and it was a bit of a step backwards (not huge). I've also tried Wyeast 1099 (Whitbread) which I would also say is a cask yeast - more flavours than the WLP002 and I do like the way the drip-trays make the room smell like a good pub!

I really like Wyeast London Ale III have used it a few times in a similarish recipe and I really like it.

IMO and I will get shot for this, I believe using yeast like these for English ales are a huge improvement over dry varieties

Thats a good yeast used also used in lots of NEIPA'a. I like WLP007 for a dry beer and 1056 is also decent

Help us narrow it down a bit... do you like dry, sweet, balanced, fruity, hop forward, malt forward?

All of the above

For this brew which is a new type of style for me, I'd be pleased with good body (higher mash temp) and a balance between malt and hops. I've not used either hop and I would like to determine what they bring to the party.

I do like a floral type aromas and do tend to like hop forward beers, however I realise this isn't necessarily in fitting with this style.

Thanks for the recommendations! I had a flick through and thought either Yorkshire, London or ringwood.

You could tone down the carapils a bit.

I only put it in to get rid of it really. It's doing any harm in the barrel. I done a couple of similar recipes a couple of months apart, one with carapils and one without. I never noticed much difference in them. Do you think carapils brings much to the party in your experience? Maybe go 250g?

I'm another vote for west yorkshire, I've used it 3 times now, all 3 have gone past the expected attenuation. When I went back to adjust the recipes in the software they both worked out at a 73% average attenuation. Sweet Stout mashed at 70c gave 68%, brown porter mashed at 65c gave 79%, then my recent bitter also gave 79% but at 67c which needed an average attenuation of 77% to match. The porter didn't have any issues with over-carbonation, the stout is still to young to have noticed anything and the bitter is only just in the bottle.

I also liked 1099 whitbread, Did a brown, a bitter and a barleywine (which is still aging), nice fruity esters from the yeast, attenuates reasonably well, 75% in the bitter and barleywine, and drops clears on it's own.

Thanks for the recommendations! I had a flick through and thought either Yorkshire, London or ringwood.
As a bit more warning about "Yorkshire" (tempered by it turning out to be a fine flavoured yeast): Here's what I woke up to this morning having fitted the airlock because activity has slowed down...

20180513_085427_WEB.jpg

The "blow-off tube" is back on. The pneumatic silencer is below (light blue) and when fitted would be the normal way I'd vent the CO2. The "blow-off tube" can be isolated forcing CO2 to vent via the airlock (which had to be removed after this photo and the port plugged). Remember, this is a 70L fermenter containing 45L beer and 25L of yeasty froth. This is mild, I've seen pictures of much bigger messes using this yeast.

I'll also show you how fermentation progressed (a snip of the log in "Beersmith")…

Capture.JPG

Red gravity, blue temperature. The graphs have just passed the vertical line marking three days. Fermentation is (slowly) halting at SG19 (predicted FG 18). This is typical of these yeasts (Safbrew S-33 is another) that are poor at fermenting more complex sugar (maltotrioses, etc.). "Poor", but that doesn't mean "doesn't" and the beer might continue to ferment for a very long time. These yeasts are not so good for bottling. Most yeasts should continue to ferment until abruptly stopping at about 1.010.

I'm not saying don't use "Yorkshire", just giving ample warning.

There are several great ones for British style beers. The one I have used the most is WLP002 English yeast reputed to be the Fullers strain. Very reliable, ferments fast, normally down to 1.012 in 3-4 days, never stalls and always drops well leaving crystal clear beer. Taste wise think solid malty English beers. Been trying brewlabs yeast recently and VERY impressed.

Back