First Oatmeal IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerboymark

Reaction score
Looking at brewing a new england style pale ale or an oatmeal pale ale (whatever you choose to call it). Looking at using about 20% oats in the grist but not sure whether to go for oat malt or rolled oats or flaked oats or any other type of oats. Anyone got any suggestions? Struggling to find many recipes for inspiration. Currently I'm at:

70% Maris Otter
20% Oats in some form
10% Carapils

A mixture of Cascade, Chinook, Ahtanum & Mosaic with a big dry hop hit

Wyeast London Ale III

20% oats will be absolutely fine. Wouldn't the carapils and oats both add body though? If that's the case it might be overkill.

As for oats, same as you, i scoured the internet, but there isn't a huge amount of info out there, but the long and short is that you can use basic flaked oats, i.e. value porridge from the supermarket. Check the additives when you buy them but generally the ingredients should just read 100% flaked oats.

Maris Otter might be a bit strong and dark for the NE style. You could think about using Golden Promise for a milder flavor and paler colour.

I don't think you necessarily need the carapils, although I did see that Cloudwater added carapils in one of the recent versions of their DIPA. Usually they just use Golden Promise, Oats and sugar.

I've had good success with 80% GP, 10% wheat malt and 10% oats.

I think the key to the NE style is to add hops after flameout and then use loads at dry hop. Mosaic and citra work well together.

Thanks for the advice guys. I am getting alot of advice to substitute the carapils for something wheat based. Not tried golden promise before so think i will give that a try.

When you mash with the oats did you bother pre cooking them or throwing them in "raw"? Some suggest boiling them for half hour first. And did you find the oats have much effect on mash pH?

Thanks for the advice guys. I am getting alot of advice to substitute the carapils for something wheat based. Not tried golden promise before so think i will give that a try.

When you mash with the oats did you bother pre cooking them or throwing them in "raw"? Some suggest boiling them for half hour first. And did you find the oats have much effect on mash pH?

Rolled/flaked oats, i.e. the porridge oats you buy in the supermarket, have already been gelatinized. Just mill them with the rest of your grain and add straight to the mash.

If you use raw oat groats or steel cut oats, you'll need to look at a cereal mash.

Can I bump this. I have milled ingredients on the way for an IPA and I also want to add oats.

4kg pale malt
500g carapils.

How much oats would people recommend?
I was thinking 250g.

Session IPA with oats. Will be hoping with centiniel and cascade.

Just want to know how much oats would be recommended given there is already half a kilo of carapils.

Latest posts

Back