First Pilsner second attempt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budgie

Regular.
Reaction score
Christmas holidays are finally here (all 3 days of it) so I've got time to brew for a change.

20 Litres.
OG: 1.046
FG: 1.011
4kg Piksner
120g carapils

28g Perle (7%AA) @60 mins
28g Saaz (3.4% AA) @30 mins
28g Saaz @15 mins

WLP800 Pilsner lager yeast.

Any glaring errors you wise souls can see?

Perhaps leave the carapils out? I think pilsners just use 100% pilsner malt

The recipe from Northern Brewer has carapils but not really sure of its function to be honest. I'll stick with 100% Pilsner. Does the hop schedule look ok?

The shedule times look fine although you could add a 0 min addition. What are the final IBU's going to be.

Carapils is used to add body and aid head retention. It's kind of like super light crystal malt

What addition at 0 mins..the SAAZ 28g ???
Liking this guys
Thx

Yeah. Adding another 28g at 0mins would be good (if the OP has it). I've been drinking a Pilsner from Four Pure, a local micro brewery, at a craft ale pub I go to on a sat eve. It is made with saaz and Hallertau Mittelfrau (sp). It's lovely
http://www.fourpure.com/

Yeah. Adding another 28g at 0mins would be good (if the OP has it). I've been drinking a Pilsner from Four Pure, a local micro brewery, at a craft ale pub I go to on a sat eve. It is made with saaz and Hallertau Mittelfrau (sp). It's lovely

mmmmmmm!
both SAAZ and Halertaue Mitefrau is new to me...both in the Grolsch clone that fermenting at the mo...
I tried aHobgoblins last nite....(only a half) and the taste came back to the old AG making days...
I think I'm stuggling with the aroma hops vs the bittering hops..or leaving out one or the other! if you know what I mean?? lol

HBC Premium kit i just brewed at the weekend had 3 hop additions, 1st @60 , 2nd @15 and 3rd @1, the hops where Perle and Hallertauer, there grain was 100% premium pilsner grain, however they recommended a 90 minute boil and 90 minute mash.

I've probably for enough Saaz to do another addition at 0 mins. The recipe I've got suggest a 90mins stepped mash which I fancy habit a go at, but I'm still working out of its feasable.

FourPure are a fantastic brewery, haven't tried their pils but the other beers of theirs I've tried have all been top drawer,

Their IPA is absolutely tremendous although a bit of a hop bomb so maybe not your cup of tea.

Yeah. at 80IBU that would definately blow my taste buds to smithereens. Thats the problem I have with many micro brewery pale ales,theyre all too hoppy for me even the lower hopped ones even though I like pale ales. So I have to make my own

Yeah. at 80IBU that would definately blow my taste buds to smithereens. Thats the problem I have with many micro brewery pale ales,theyre all too hoppy for me even the lower hopped ones even though I like pale ales. So I have to make my own

That's as good an excuse as any I've heard :lol:

I finally got this one on the go. I had enough Saaz to add 26g at flameout, just pitched the yeast, only hit 1.042 so only about 68% efficiency but never mind. Now to spend the next two months staring at it!

I'm gonna do another lager soon so I've been looking at recipes and I've seen some use a small amount of carapils to add a slightly maltier flavour and a little sweetness.

I decided to stick with just base malt on this one. I might do another later in the year with the carapils added to see what difference it makes.

It's down to a couple of points above FG this morning so I've set the temp at 18.5 where I'll leave it for a couple of days.

Tasting the hydrometer sample this one is very promising. Even at this stage it's quite crisp and clean with a nice bitterness. Woohoo!

Latest posts

Back