First post, first brew, first question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As you won't be able to check the PB for any leaks I suggest that you double check the "O" ring seal to make sure that there are no nicks or deformations, put a smear of Vaseline on the "O" ring itself and the threads on the cap and then screw in on "finger tight".

Personally, I use a wood clamp similar to this ...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-quick-grip-12-mini-one-handed-bar-clamp/98247

... to give mine just that extra "tweak" after making it finger tight.

Enjoy your trip. :thumb:

Thanks for that, I have clamps like that in the workshop. I'm going to 'dry run' the barrel with water and inject some co2 to check for leaks to make sure I'm getting the seals correct as well.

OK, so scores on the doors.

Started at 1.040 on 19/2
Finished at 1.012 on 1/3

Will leave and check again on Saturday but if it has stopped and the calculator on Brewers Friend is correct, that means it's at 3.68% which seems like a reasonable result for a first go.

Testing your PB before use is always a good idea. But it doesn't ensure that the cap to PB seal is tight each time the PB is filled. My suggestion is to fill it, prime it, and leave it a few days, then confirm that its pressurising. If its been in the warm for 3 days and there is no pressure you are highly likely to have a leak and will need to sort it out. More here...
Guide to a Standard Home Brew Pressure Barrel

Thanks, yes, I brought the barrel into the house this morning to clean and pressure test. I've read though the article recently and will try everything before putting the beer in to it.

Thought I'd add a little update. I barrelled the beer and let it stand for 3 weeks and have just started tasting it. I used 90g of sugar and I think that might be a bit much as it comes out very frothy and at some pressure, so you have to let a bit into the glass, let it settle, top up/settle and repeat a few times.

Once done though, it's a very tasty pint. Not one I'd have more than a pint or so of a night, but then I don't generally drink more than that anyway to be honest. If it was served to me at a pub, I'd be more than happy so I guess that's a success.

Of course, I'm now looking at getting another barrel and a different beer to brew that's a little lighter than the Nog. I tend to like darker bitters and of late I've been enjoying the odd bottle of Betty Stoggs cornish and Ringwood Old Thumper. Any suggestions for a kit bitter to try that might fit the bill?

Thanks for the update. Pressure barrels are always a bit of a balancing act when it comes to serving. Especially the differences between winter and summer. I've got photographs of mine sitting in trays of water with towels around them wicking it up to keep it cool, and almost like cat-sitting asked my friends and neighbours to come in and tip water on the towels when I was away for months at a time. Came back - towels like husks around the barrel, beer like it had been in Bermuda. Still drunk it. It was terrible and I loved it.

Back