First Pseudo-Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol, we don't waste anything in our house either! Voss goes rank every time for me - never again.

Back to AA's question - I use MJ yeast for almost all my beers - I don't think you can go wrong with that brand. If you're considering fermentis K97 though, I would give it a miss. My Kolsch just will not clear.
I've just made a bière de garde using K97. It wouldn't clear so I bottled it anyway. Two days later it was crystal clear, but it needs very careful pouring.

Right. Thanks everybody. I reckon I can keep ambient between 17 and 19 in the darker recesses of the house. So allowing for the heat of fermentation and a damp towel, around 20C. I'm torn between the Kolsch and the Cali, which is exactly the way I started out. Only one thing for it- make two!

Haven't used it yet, but Lutra kveik is supposed to be good and really clean at 20c. I don't like voss either - it smells like musty books.

Dried Lutra has worked out great for me and the beer tasted great. But then again I’m not a beer sommelier and I eat chilli sauce with everything.

But I am told that if you drop below 20c you’ll get some typical Kveik funky flavours which are not nice.

That’s why I’ve started doing smaller batches when stepping into the brewing company unknown…

+1 for Lutra. It was good enough that a friend who exclusively drinks peroni and normally hates my homebrews qas very happy drinking a seudo lager I made using dried Lutra, brewed at 30c.

Can someone enlighten me as to what makes a pseudo-lager 'pseudo' please ?

I love doing pseudo lagers. It is basically a lager done 'incorrectly', and would likely be frowned upon in some of the more serious beer drinking circles. For me, it's a fun way to get a lot of the way towards a lager style, but without the need for slow and low temperature ferments and sometimes involves omitting the 'lagering' phase all together.

As said above you can either use a lager yeast at ale temps, an ale yeast at lower temps, or just any clean fermenting yeast at any temp you want (some of the cleaner finishing kveik yeasts have been popular choices lately). Fining agents like gelatin etc are often used too, to give a cleaner/clearer end product in a much quicker time.

If you enjoy lager or want to experiment with different types it can be a great way to get there quickly, or to test recipes you want to lager properly, brew lager in weather not usually conducive to it, or just make something 'lager-y' in a fraction of the time.

Can someone enlighten me as to what makes a pseudo-lager 'pseudo' please ?
I always thought the main thing is you are not fermenting at traditional larger temperatures, i.e. I have heard people say that a a Kölsch can count as a pseudo larger. (The point is they can be great beers in their own righ)

I brewed a Saaz smash with Pilsner malt and Voss, it’s not a larger in a technical sense, but it can be served cold to give a tasty crisp beer that is just right to enjoy in the garden when it’s 30°C plus.

IMG_20220417_103236.jpg

Back