First Saison

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a 1 litre starter with the pack of liquid yeast. I read about freezing yeast samples on another site. Basically I mix a small sample of my yeast with glycerol. It has to be around 12.5% glycerol and this prevents water ice crystals from damaging the yeast cells. I freeze 15ml sample tubes. Then I just defrost, add to another small starter ( 25g dried malt in 250ml) then add the yeast from that starter to another larger starter (eg 75g malt in 750ml). This second Saison I have started was the first time I have used the frozen yeast method. Saves quite a bit of cost on liquid yeast! And I still have 5 vials in the freezer.

I've got my hand of a recipe which is close to Glazen Toren Saison d'Erpe-Mere. Got it from a guy who visited the brewery and put it together with information he got.

It's quite simple

Grist
87.5% Pilsner
12.5% Wheat
OG 1.050-1.055

Mashing
60@63°C
20@72°C

Boil for 75 minutes

Hops
@75 Saaz 18 IBU
@Flameout 2g/l Hallertau Mittelfruh

They use Safale BE-134
Rehydrate
Pitch around 20°C let it raise to 26-28°C within a couple of days. Let it sit for at least 2 weeks, maybe 3. BE-134 goes low FG in the area 1.000-1.005 is not unheard of.

Carbonate with sugar, high aim arund 3.0 co2. They use F-2, but for homebrewing residual yeast would work. 3 weeks. Bottle mature for 3 weeks @28°C. Enjoy.

Should be perfect to brew with higher summer temperatures.

I made a 1 litre starter with the pack of liquid yeast. I read about freezing yeast samples on another site. Basically I mix a small sample of my yeast with glycerol. It has to be around 12.5% glycerol and this prevents water ice crystals from damaging the yeast cells. I freeze 15ml sample tubes. Then I just defrost, add to another small starter ( 25g dried malt in 250ml) then add the yeast from that starter to another larger starter (eg 75g malt in 750ml). This second Saison I have started was the first time I have used the frozen yeast method. Saves quite a bit of cost on liquid yeast! And I still have 5 vials in the freezer.
Sounds a bit technical for me haha but it also sounds like you know what you are doing so well done...
I've had my Mangrove Jacks kit in the FV for 2 weeks then bottled and in the airing cupboard for 2 weeks for 2nd ferment.
Just sampled the first bottled (chilled in the fridge as I prefer mine cold) and I have to say I am very pleased with the end product. As a relative newcomer to home brewing I am always expecting something to be not quite right with the flavour but I can't detect any off-flavours so this is really pleasing. Forward malt and that distinctive yeasty flavour you get with Belgian beers plus spicy peppery notes and a long dry finish. Carbonation is just right too. Going to give some bottles to family and friends to try. Maybe next time I will try the all grain method for my next saison.
Good luck with yours and thanks for the advice.

I've got my hand of a recipe which is close to Glazen Toren Saison d'Erpe-Mere. Got it from a guy who visited the brewery and put it together with information he got.

It's quite simple

Grist
87.5% Pilsner
12.5% Wheat
OG 1.050-1.055

Mashing
60@63°C
20@72°C

Boil for 75 minutes

Hops
@75 Saaz 18 IBU
@Flameout 2g/l Hallertau Mittelfruh

They use Safale BE-134
Rehydrate
Pitch around 20°C let it raise to 26-28°C within a couple of days. Let it sit for at least 2 weeks, maybe 3. BE-134 goes low FG in the area 1.000-1.005 is not unheard of.

Carbonate with sugar, high aim arund 3.0 co2. They use F-2, but for homebrewing residual yeast would work. 3 weeks. Bottle mature for 3 weeks @28°C. Enjoy.

Should be perfect to brew with higher summer temperatures.

Very nice, love a Saison. I only had 5% wheat, and topped up with 5% Munich. I also unfortunately added a Alpha rest at 68 degrees for 30mins. I used WLP565, 3 weeks open fermentation, the last week at 29 degrees, only got down to 1.009. I was getting thirsty and kegged it. Next time I'll skip the Alpha rest. Still a great beer, hopefully get the FG a bit lower next time.

Very nice, love a Saison. I only had 5% wheat, and topped up with 5% Munich. I also unfortunately added a Alpha rest at 68 degrees for 30mins. I used WLP565, 3 weeks open fermentation, the last week at 29 degrees, only got down to 1.009. I was getting thirsty and kegged it. Next time I'll skip the Alpha rest. Still a great beer, hopefully get the FG a bit lower next time.

Glad you liked it. Saison is flexible when it comes to the grist 😀.

I would suggest you try with the BE-134, the yeast is the real star here. The BE-134 is a true beast. 1 package took 27 L from 1.056 to 1.002 in 4 days. But make sure you do a proper sanitize of your fermentor to avoid cross-contamination.

Latest posts

Back