First tap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This the first pour from my first tap, do I make the line shorter or longer or just turn the pressure down, all advice welcome
98766ABA-580B-45E3-9099-3F4BE492F59C.jpeg

I'm in the same boat as you rod. I will be taking the first drink from my tap at the weekend.

The equation on brewers friend tells you what length of line for the pressure set at regulator and a few other variables.

Basically it's:

Beer line length in feet= (regulator pressure - (height from middle of keg to tap x 0.5) - 1)/ beer line resistance

There is a chart for beer line resistance as well there. I haven't tried this but will be trying it at the weekend

I'm in the same boat as you rod. I will be taking the first drink from my tap at the weekend.

The equation on brewers friend tells you what length of line for the pressure set at regulator and a few other variables.

Basically it's:

Beer line length in feet= (regulator pressure - (height from middle of keg to tap x 0.5) - 1)/ beer line resistance

There is a chart for beer line resistance as well there. I haven't tried this but will be trying it at the weekend
Determining Proper hose length for your Kegerator this might help

Hi Sam 8psi, i used the full lenth of hose that came with it 3 mtrs
I run my ales at around 8 psi, temperature is around 6°C, which equates to around 2 volumes of CO2. If your temp is lower then it would absorb more CO2 so the pressure would need to be less.

I run these from BKT: Beer line 3/16" Restriction Kit

So started with 3m of 3/16, it was very slow to pour so I trimmed it down a bit. Still quite slow but I get a controllable pour with a decent head. I stick with this length for stuff at higher pressures e.g. Weiss beers, cider, etc. but have flow control taps so reduce it a bit more though cider doesn't really generate much head so I can pour that at full bore.

When I read "This the first pour from my first tap" it sounds like it was your first pour from a new tap you've set up but I'm not so sure because later you said the keg just kicked which sounds like you've just poured out the last from a keg in which case you could have been sucking up gas from the empty keg and anything that might have been floating around the top of the liquid. The last glass from a keg is always a bit iffy.

Hi Foxbat you are right i should have waited until i have a full keg, it is the first tap i have installed in the kegerator but more will follow soon, i just wanted to see how it all works.

Latest posts

Back