First time brewer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geffers

Reaction score
Good morning, I have my first brew ready for bottling in 500ml plastic bottles, it’s a Woodfordes Norfolk Nog. My issue is the box says”half a teaspoon per pint” I am using Crafty Fox carbonation drops, and they say 2 drops per 500ml bottle, but on reading other material they seem to say 1 drop for dark ales and 2 drops for cider/lager.

How many drops should I use??

Hello ..just on the back of this , I am also a relatively new brewer , my Norfolk Nog fermented perfect I got a gravity reading of 1014 , I added the priming auger , left it in a warm place for 10 days, I then transferred to the shed for 2 weeks , we have had freezing cold weather in that time , when I pulled my first pint from my king keg , it made a very strange noise , I got the dreaded glug , the beer hardly pours and it is as flat as a pancake, is this a stuck 2 Nd fermentation ...any help would be much appreciated .👍

Hello ..just on the back of this , I am also a relatively new brewer , my Norfolk Nog fermented perfect I got a gravity reading of 1014 , I added the priming auger , left it in a warm place for 10 days, I then transferred to the shed for 2 weeks , we have had freezing cold weather in that time , when I pulled my first pint from my king keg , it made a very strange noise , I got the dreaded glug , the beer hardly pours and it is as flat as a pancake, is this a stuck 2 Nd fermentation ...any help would be much appreciated .👍
Hi @Mfc86 and welcome! Just to be clear regarding your post, after fermentation was complete you transferred your beer from your fermentation vessel to your King Keg (that you had checked out and tested for leaks around the valve gear before you started) and added (how much) priming sugar. Left it in the keg for 10 days in the warm (no obvious leaks noticed or prv venting during this period?) before moving it to the shed for 2 weeks.

Sounds like you’ve got a leak somewhere (I would suspect the rubber band on the gas valve in the lid or the rubber washer under the valve shoulder) and you’ve lost what CO2 was made during carbonation. Try injecting some CO2 and give it a soapy water spray around the lid area to see if you can find a leak.

Have you read.....
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/pressure-barrels-more-than-you-wanted-to-know.89344/

Back