First time brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JhnMcK

Reaction score
Hi,

Put my first ever brew on earlier. A 6 bottle Merlot kit I got given as a present. Only problem I think I'll have is that the instructions said that I'd need to keep the temperature as close to 20 degrees as possible and I don't know if I'll be able to. It's brewing in my utility room but the temperature fluctuates depending whether the heating is on or not. Fingers crosses it'll be ok fermenting there

If the temperature drops too low, fermentation will stop altogether. If you're making a white wine there are some yeasts which can cope with lower temperatures (Gervin GV5 goes down as far as 8C) and lager yeasts can also cope with very low temperatures, however I don't know of any for red wines. Others may though!

If the temperature goes too high, the yeast will produce fusel oils, which are responsible for hangovers.

The room it is in doesn't get too cold. Last night when there was no heating on, the room temperature was around 18 degrees.

The wine is fermenting as there is foam on top and the bucket has expanded so I'm guessing there is co2 within the bucket but there's no activity at all in the airlock. Is that something I should worry about?

JhnMcK said:
The wine is fermenting as there is foam on top and the bucket has expanded so I'm guessing there is co2 within the bucket but there's no activity at all in the airlock. Is that something I should worry about?

How big is the bucket?

25L. Planned on doing it in the bucket so it could then clear in the DJ (and I wanted to put another brew on when the bucket is free)

I think the problem is you have 4.5 litres in a 25 litre bucket, with 20 litres of head-space i am not surprised it aint bubbling, it is probably still fermenting, try putting your ear to the side of th bucket where the you of the wine is, you should be able to hear it fizzing.

So really, I should have done it in the DJ instead of the bucket. I suppose it'll be a pain seeing when it's done fermenting with all the head space

Fermentation has massively slowed down last few days. Took the first hydrometer reading, 0.997. A few more days and I'll check again then transfer to DJ. Smells like a very nice wine, didn't taste it though.

Well, when it's just about done and you want to rack it but it's not clear enough to bottle, rack it to a demi

That's what I was planning. As it's a kit, there's still the stabiliser and finings to add when fermentation has stopped. I haven't decided whether to let it mature in the DJ or when bottled yet.

Just transferred to the DJ. Took a hydrometer reading on Friday and it was 0.997 and it was exactly the same today. It was a little higher than what the instructions said but it didn't taste too bad (the bit that went in my mouth when I was siphoning into the DJ). Stabiliser has been added. I've just to shake it 3 times a day for 3-4 days to get rid of the CO2 then the finings go in. Now considering what I can brew next with the FV. Thinking maybe Ginger beer, or an ale

Latest posts

Back