First time using Belgian ale yeast

Discussion in 'Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water' started by samale, May 16, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. May 16, 2019 #1

samale

samale

samale

I have been brewing a fair bit of time. First time trying a Belgian ale yeast. It was cml. I went for a recipe with what I had
    4kg base malt
    500g cara-munich 1
    50g sladek flameout
    50 sladek dry hop after 5 days

I am struggling with the taste. It's only two weeks in the bottle it's just not what I am used to. What should I get from a Belgian yeast flavour wise.

2. May 16, 2019 #2

Cwrw666

Cwrw666

Cwrw666

Landlord.

I'm about half way through drinking my first attempt at Greg Hughes Belgian Witbier. Not to my taste either, so I bought a bottle of that Blue Moon stuff from Tescos to see how it should taste. Almost exactly the same. Don't think I'll be making this stuff again.
    Yeast : fermentis wb-06.
    Just tastes of bananas...

3. May 16, 2019 #3

Oneflewover

Oneflewover

Oneflewover

Landlord.

This probably isn't very helpful, but its a bit like asking what should I get from English yeast taste-wise. There is such variation and then it depends upon temperature, pitching rate etc.

4. May 16, 2019 #4

Alex.mc

Alex.mc

Alex.mc

especially if it's higher in ABV..... Belgians often short age quite well. Duvel ages 90 days straight off the bat.
    I did one recently and fresh it's bananas all the way! But I like that so it's no problem for me. A month down the line though and the banana aspect has muted somewhat, and is a bit less "in yer face!"
    Stick them in the cellar and try one in a month.

5. May 16, 2019 #5

prog99

prog99

prog99

Regular. Supporting Member

This may seem like a particularly daft question but what were you expecting, have you tried many belgium ales?
    I've used cml belgium and thought it was right on the mark.

6. May 16, 2019 #6

MickDundee

MickDundee

MickDundee

Landlord.

Isn’t WB-06 a German Hefeweizen yeast rather than a Belgian Witbier yeast? T-58 is the Fermentis Witbier yeast IIRC.

7. May 16, 2019 #7

samale

samale

samale

Your spot on I didn't have an expectation. It was a try it and see what happens. First time trying a yeast that wasn't S04,05 or cml real ale yeast. It's definitely different. And your right I have nothing really to compare it to. Think this might sit a while.

8. May 16, 2019 #8

Cwrw666

Cwrw666

Cwrw666

Landlord.

GH gives Wyeast 3944 in the recipe, but also WB-06 in the yeast pages as an alternative. As it's a dry yeast I went with that.

9. May 16, 2019 #9

Ajhutch

Ajhutch

Ajhutch

Landlord. Supporting Member

I’m surprised that is offered up as an alternative. 3944 is a Witbier yeast, WB06 is a German hefeweizen yeast. That’s a bit like suggesting chicken as a substitute for lamb in a curry recipe. Banana flavours shouldn’t be anywhere near a witbier or any type of Belgian ale to my mind. MJ do a specific dry yeast for Witbier.

chthon and MickDundee like this.
  10. May 16, 2019 #10

Ajhutch

Ajhutch

Ajhutch

To attempt to answer the OP’s question about Belgian yeast character, you might expect some level of fruity esters which may be pome, citrus or stone fruit in a pale beer or more red fruit in a darker beer. The other very typical Belgian flavour is a sort of spicy character which is derived from phenols. Westmalle Dubbel and Duvel are respectively good examples of a darker and a pale Belgian beer available in most supermarkets, to give you an idea of whether what you’ve brewed is in line with the norm.

11. May 16, 2019 #11

darrellm

darrellm

darrellm

It's worth doing what Cwrw did, get a bottle of a commercial witbier and try that to compare it with. I do like the style and did make the GH Belgian Wit myself recently, but if you haven't tried the style before it will taste a bit different. I'm rubbish at beer descriptions but I'd describe it as slightly tart/sour, certainly not sweet.

I was in Belgium at Xmas and had a bottle of Gruut Witbier, after a couple of nice malty Dubbels and Triples it was quite a shock, but nice once I got used to it.

12. May 16, 2019 #12

the_quick

the_quick

the_quick

The OP didn't mention Witbier at all, no trace of wheat malts in ingredients either. Bit idea with buying similar beer and compare is spot on.
    I will be brewing clone of Brudge Zot next weekend, it calls for orange peel and coriander seeds. I defo could taste those in the original.