First Tropical IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenbrewer

Reaction score
I’m going to have a crack at a tropical ipa and like the look of this recipe:

100g Malted Flake Oats
2250g Marris Otter
150g Munich Malt

25g Amarillo
50g Citra
50g Mosiac

However I am unsure on the timings for the hop additions and looking for advice on what (if any) dry hops could be included. Also thinking off adding around 1kg mango.

thanks in advance

That looks like a 8-10L batch?

I’d Chuck half the mosaic in at flameout (no bittering additions) and the rest in 3 days before bottling.

Depends how bitter you want it, but with citra and mosaic I'd hold half each back for a dry hop like surfingobo says.

Looks very like my regular NEIPA if you skip the Amarillo.

I think I’m going to go for:

Simcoe 60 min 25g
Mosiac 10 min 25g
Citra 50g 0 min (after temp hits 80 degrees centigrade) then left to steep for 20 minutes.
Drop hop Mosiac 50g Citra 25g

I don’t want an overly biter brew. I’m trying to loosely to re-create the tiny rebel club tropica.

I personally would not do any early additions for bittering ( its a waste of expensive hops)and use the hops as late/whirlpool/dryhop this will allow more hops to be used to get maximum flavour with a control on the AA's for bittering

I personally would not do any early additions for bittering ( its a waste of expensive hops)and use the hops as late/whirlpool/dryhop this will allow more hops to be used to get maximum flavour with a control on the AA's for bittering
Should I just do a 10-15 minute total boil time then? Skip the standard 60 min boil

No do what ever boil time you want I do 45 mins nowadays but just add the hops as late additions or whirlpool and dry hop to suit yourself. Have you put the recipe into something like Brewers Friend so that you can play around with the hop additions to get to where you want to be with IBU's etc. Boil times are required to be generally no less than 30 minutes( some do longer boils it depends on the style of beer and your outlook on brewing) but you can add the hops at any time and do not have to put a addition in at the start of the boil.
You do need to plug your recipe into brewing calculator with the AA's of your hops.

My go-to juicy SIPA recipe is 15g at 5mins, 20g at whirlpool (85 degrees) for 10 mins, and 60g dry hop 2 days at 14 degrees.

If I know the hop character doesn’t survive fermentation very well I will take from the whirlpool and load the dry hop. I tend to do this with Mosaic. I find whirlpooled Mosaic brings out more of the dark fruit character.

With your hops I would probably go:
10g each Citra/Mosaic late Kettle addition.
10g Mosaic, 20g Citra whirlpool
The rest as dry hop.

With Citra, Amarillo and Mosaic I don’t think you can go wrong with any combo.. there is a reason they are call ‘cheater’ hops! 👍🍻😉

Let us know how it turns out 😬

Latest posts

Back