First turbo cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fore

Landlord.
Reaction score
Yes, an oft used thread title :nod:. But it is a milestone for any beer brewer.

So not much to it of course, but I did do a full cornie's worth, added some brown & white sugar, and used proper cider yeast.

It's been in primary for 2 weeks, so will be transferred to secondary today. Sample is promising; down to 1.000. Because I'm out of normal routine, I think I forgot to record SG, but I think it was 1.052, which will give 6.9%. Sample wasn't as dry as I was expecting. I lean towards a preference for dry in any case.

I've done some research on back sweetening, but I wait to see if it's necessary. It did seem to lack some flavour complexity and have a feeling that would be improved with some sweetening and possibly spices or whatever.

Anyway, it's my first ever, so I'll first see how this "base" version ends up after ageing and carbonation. I already think it will be pretty good, and I can't understand why I've never done this before. I think I thought there was more to it, like wine.

Wheat beer and cider...

Attachments

• 20180225_162131.jpg
    20180225_162131.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 93
Yes, an oft used thread title :nod:. But it is a milestone for any beer brewer.

So not much to it of course, but I did do a full cornie's worth, added some brown & white sugar, and used proper cider yeast.

It's been in primary for 2 weeks, so will be transferred to secondary today. Sample is promising; down to 1.000. Because I'm out of normal routine, I think I forgot to record SG, but I think it was 1.052, which will give 6.9%. Sample wasn't as dry as I was expecting. I lean towards a preference for dry in any case.

I've done some research on back sweetening, but I wait to see if it's necessary. It did seem to lack some flavour complexity and have a feeling that would be improved with some sweetening and possibly spices or whatever.

Anyway, it's my first ever, so I'll first see how this "base" version ends up after ageing and carbonation. I already think it will be pretty good, and I can't understand why I've never done this before. I think I thought there was more to it, like wine.

Primaries and Secondartys? :wave: . I have found the TCs only need a primary fermentation. Get it to 1.000 ish then ok I drop it off the muck into a 'secondary' but only so I can then batch prime in there and bottle immediately.

Well that went pretty damn well. I prefer the result over beer kits. This becomes a norm for me now; filling the gaps between AG.

It's right to say it's quite dry; a sharp bite. But I do prefer dry white wines over sweet, so the bite is OK. I did some practice on back sweetening (in the glass, I have no potassium sorbate yet), and somewhere between 1 to 2 tsp sugar per pint will suit about right. After you got used to the dry version, the sweetened one seems a bit sweet, but when starting off, the sweetened seems more balanced.

So of course, I've already kicked off my second. I had a cherry wheat on the go, so out came the cherry wheat into the keg, and straight in went the apple juice. No cleaning, no yeast addition, simple. I did add sugar again, half as much this time, 200g, and cinnamon sticks, star anise & cloves. Just playing with a few small flavour additions to see how things go. Good stuff!

Latest posts

Back