First Turbo Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keef32

Reaction score
Technically not correct, I tried to do one once and it was vile but that was on me...

Started this afternoon when I found out I was being made redundant 🤷‍♂️

About 3.5/4 liters of juiced apples (mixed variety). (Expensive idea, probably works out no cheaper than buying some Cider 🤣)
1 Tsp Malic Acid
1 Tsp Pectolase
1 Tsp Yeast Enhancer
1 packet Young's Cider yeast
500ml strong brewed tea
Topped off to shoulders of DJ with Asda Smart price apple juice.

Can hear it bubbling away in the corner on the Welsh dresser 👍

Sorry to hear about the redundancy but nice one on seizing the day and getting the brew on. Hope it tastes great!

Sorry to hear about the redundancy but nice one on seizing the day and getting the brew on. Hope it tastes great!

Cheers.

I'm a positive person... By time I'm out that door I'll be walking into another and just enjoy the extra pay.

Sorry to hear your redundancy news firstly, but on a positive note you've entered into TC brewing. The best bit of brewing TC for me is trying out different juices to make flavoured cider, pineapple being my favourite i think, or the polish juice lowizs blackcurrant. Generally i use 4x apple juice to 1 litre other 100% juice or the lowizs which is 400ml so make up to 1ltr with water.

Sorry to hear your redundancy news firstly, but on a positive note you've entered into TC brewing. The best bit of brewing TC for me is trying out different juices to make flavoured cider, pineapple being my favourite i think, or the polish juice lowizs blackcurrant. Generally i use 4x apple juice to 1 litre other 100% juice or the lowizs which is 400ml so make up to 1ltr with water.

Will give it a go with something other than apples another time.. we quite like an apple cider in this house so that was the go to this time...

Update:

So it's gone from bubbling away madly for a few days to maybe one bubble every 10 minutes, just checked the gravity, coming in at around 7.5/8%. Tastes good. Going to give it a few more days, check again then bottle 👍

Sorry to hear about your redundancy fella.ive bought my juice and awaiting my yeast and pectolase. Good luck with yours, looking forward to getting mine startedx!

I woke up to this, this morning. The dark fruits had actually blown the top off of the airlock. Slightly glad I made the executive decision to keep the bottles in a tub!
If the cider tastes as good as it smells (particularly the fruity one) we’re in for a treat!

Attachments

• ACFE3599-822E-4E13-99AA-BAE89FE741C9.jpeg
    ACFE3599-822E-4E13-99AA-BAE89FE741C9.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Next time you make something only fill to the top line of the bottles or if using Demijohns to the beginning of the shoulder that way you have plenty of head space for the more vigorous fermentations, you can top up later when fermentation dies down (day 4 or 5)

The turbo Cider was chucked into bottles last week, it carbed up pretty quickly so chucked it in fridge for a few days... wasnt clear but it was tasty while watching the rugby on the weekend. I was wayyy too keen for it but me and the missus really enjoyed it

The turbo Cider was chucked into bottles last week, it carbed up pretty quickly so chucked it in fridge for a few days... wasnt clear but it was tasty while watching the rugby on the weekend. I was wayyy too keen for it but me and the missus really enjoyed it
Good man! Have you managed to get something else lined up work wise? Hopefully so!

Mine looks like fermentation has slowed considerably so will check FG tomorrow with a view to bottle over the weekend.

Mines not particularly clear but was looking at drinking the apple still, so will taste and decide if I want to risk it! The dark fruits one will be bottle conditioned regardless

Good man! Have you managed to get something else lined up work wise? Hopefully so!

Mine looks like fermentation has slowed considerably so will check FG tomorrow with a view to bottle over the weekend.

Mines not particularly clear but was looking at drinking the apple still, so will taste and decide if I want to risk it! The dark fruits one will be bottle conditioned regardless

Nothing yet but a few things interviewed for so feeling positive.

I'm too impatient for all this waiting for beer haha

Nothing yet but a few things interviewed for so feeling positive.

I'm too impatient for all this waiting for beer haha

👍Good luck fella!

its tough, Ive had to fill my beer and wine fridges with good stuff so Im not tempted!

Ok couldnt wait! Scores on the doors for the ciders- forest fruits finished up at 7.8% (fg 0.996), apple finished up at 7.9% (fg 0.992!!). Bit of sweetner added to samples to reduce dryness and now chilling in the fridge for a nightcap! Definitely taste OK, perhaps lacking a little mouthfeel. Any tips at this pre-bottling stage for that?

Mouthfeel
Glycerine.

Or a bit of maturing

me or the cider?! 😜 If youre talking about the cider this one might not see out the 6Nations if my beer is to condition properly....!

What sort of ratio would you consider for the glycerine?

Glycerine has a very neutral slightly sweet taste,So it will be possible to add as much as you like to get the desired result.Starting from 10ml per gallon and working up.
Until you get the first smoothness impression then stop.

As little as a month of maturing will also get rid of a lot of the roughness in the mouth taste.

Glycerine has a very neutral slightly sweet taste,So it will be possible to add as much as you like to get the desired result.Starting from 10ml per gallon and working up.
Until you get the first smoothness impression then stop.

As little as a month of maturing will also get rid of a lot of the roughness in the mouth taste.

Thanks - I’ll raid the wife’s baking supplies for some.

Looks like I’ll have to do some sampling to see how it is improving along the way!

Latest posts

Back