First Turbo Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColinF

Reaction score
Thought it was about time I tried a Turbo Cider. Took note of Roddys post and scaled it down to 1 gallon batches.

Had planned to use 4l of Apple Juice, but decided there wasn't room, so only used 3.

3l Asda Apple Juice
700ml sugar solution (200g)
300ml black tea (3 bags)
1 tsp Pectolase
1 tsp Yeast

OG 1.051

I've got 2 of them on the go and plan priming them with a further 500ml Apple Juice each. That should equate to 50g of sugar going in. Fingers crossed 🤞

Pretty vigorous initial ferment. Only 4l in the DJ but both were foaming out through the airlock after the first night

Attachments

• 20220327_093507_copy_1500x2000.jpg
    20220327_093507_copy_1500x2000.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 30
Both DJs dropped to 1.000 within 6 days 👍

I'm still trying to gather PET bottles so its still sitting in the DJs. I noticed that its also starting to clear. If I delay this any further am I going to struggle to generate any fizz when I prime the bottles ?

Or will there still be enough yeast in the 'slowly clearing' product 🤔

Attachments

• 20220404_114325_copy_1500x2000.jpg
    20220404_114325_copy_1500x2000.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 28
Both DJs dropped to 1.000 within 6 days 👍

I'm still trying to gather PET bottles so its still sitting in the DJs. I noticed that its also starting to clear. If I delay this any further am I going to struggle to generate any fizz when I prime the bottles ?

Or will there still be enough yeast in the 'slowly clearing' product 🤔

Looking good. I always leave mine for two weeks before bottling and still get plenty of fizz.

Bottled my TC about 6 days ago. Primed both DJs with 500ml of apple juice, which equates to 50g of sugar per DJ. Also put 2 tbsp of artificial sweetener into 1 DJ. Had 4 x 1 litre bottles and 1 x 500ml bottle from each DJ.

5 days on, thought I'd try some. Started with the 2 x 500ml bottles. Small fiz when I opened the cap, buy sadly no carbonation and the same with the sweetened bottle. Actually couldn't tell it had been sweetened.

I think I was nearly 3 weeks in the DJs before bottling and the brew had pretty much cleared so I'm guessing when I racked the brew prior to priming and sweetening that little or no yeast culture came with it.

Any thoughts ?

I'd calculated the abv to be approx 7% and to be honest I wasn't sure this flat brew tasted alcoholic, however after I drank 2 litres of the stuff (purely for quality control purposes 🤪) I can confirm that 7% was probably right. My wife said that I had pontoon eyes 😯 1 was twisting and the other sticking 🤣

I'd leave it in the bottle for 2 weeks minimum. When using PET bottles it's worth giving them a squeeze to see how they are firming up. An abv of 7% sounds good though :onechug:

I'd leave it in the bottle for 2 weeks minimum. When using PET bottles it's worth giving them a squeeze to see how they are firming up. An abv of 7% sounds good though :onechug:
Yeah was giving them a squeeze daily 🤪

Tried some more at 10 days and 14 days after bottling. Wow what a difference. Beautiful sparkle to the cider, with a healthy kick after a couple glasses. I'm def a Turbo Cider convert 😯

My wife has a selection of 'Skinny Syrups' which we tried out. 25-35ml of syrup in a pint glass and top up with cider. Absolutely brilliant, so much so I've kicked off several new batches.

My wife has a selection of 'Skinny Syrups' which we tried out. 25-35ml of syrup in a pint glass and top up with cider. Absolutely brilliant, so much so I've kicked off several new batches.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1651151418625.jpg
    FB_IMG_1651151418625.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 28
I've only ever done 2 Tc,s and both came out at 6.81%. I prime in the bottle with 1 carbonating drop per bottle but they are only 250ml ones. Came out very nice. 🥂

I primed each DJ with 500ml of applejuice which has the effect of adding 50g of sugar. Worked a treat 👍

I primed each DJ with 500ml of applejuice which has the effect of adding 50g of sugar. Worked a treat 👍
I'm starting 1 in a week or so so will try your way. Did you use all Apple juice and no water in the first stage. I've got 5 ltrs on standby and will get another for priming.😎🥂
Sorry just went back to top and see you used 700mls sugar solution plus 300 ml tea so 4 ltrs total per DJ.

Last edited:
Sorry just went back to top and see you used 700mls sugar solution plus 300 ml tea so 4 ltrs total per DJ.
Yip that's it, then after racking and priming with a half litre of apple juice I topped up fully with water (approx 500 ml).

I was worried that the water might weaken the brew but it was fine. I considered just topping up with apple juice but that would have put 100g sugar (instead of 50g) into the DJ and I was worried about creating 💣 💣 💣

My first 2 batches only used 90g and 100g of sugar. Starting SG 1.052 and 1.056 and both came out at 6.81%. Desolved sugar in the Apple juice so no water. Used Crossmyloof Cider yeast.
Deffo going to try your way of priming with juice. 😎

My first 2 batches only used 90g and 100g of sugar.
I presume that was with 4litres of juice so 400g sugar plus 90 & 100g, so we were both at or close to 500g total sugar.

I guess I could have dissolved my sugar in the juice, but at the time I only had 6 litres of juice and I wanted to get 2 DJs on, so that made the decision for me 😂

I presume that was with 4litres of juice so 400g sugar plus 90 & 100g, so we were both at or close to 500g total sugar.

I guess I could have dissolved my sugar in the juice, but at the time I only had 6 litres of juice and I wanted to get 2 DJs on, so that made the decision for me 😂
Yeah both were 4 ltrs of juice, great your first TC came out great. Lots of drinking this summer for you i think lol. Enjoy. 😎🍻🍻

Latest posts

Back