First UK trappist beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon75

Reaction score
Monks in Leicestershire have become the first in the UK to brew an officially recognised Trappist beer.

Mount Saint Bernard Abbey, near Coalville, is only the world's 12th to get permission to call itself a Trappist brewery.

The beer, Tynt Meadow, comes in at 7.4% ABV.

Named after the meadow in which monks originally settled on the site in 1835, it will be on sale at the abbey and beer shops next month.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-44581210

I'll keep an eye out for it. I wonder if they've just tried to replicate a continental Trappist beer or tried to create something of their own. I suspect the former, and by the looks of the pics they've gone the safe route, with yeast management. No spontaneous fermentation there.

Mount Saint Bernard Abbey.

Named after the meadow in which monks originally settled on the site in 1835.

Not the way they while away those lonely nights then?

Slightly disappointing if the do just replicate an Abbaye style beer. Would be nice if they put a British slant on it, or expand the range, as the Americans do with Spencer, doing an IPA, lager and RIS.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

As far as I am aware, the Trappist beers on sale in France are carbonated in the bottle (maybe with a different yeast than the one used to ferment it) so when Tynt Meadow comes on the market could someone please try and harvest the yeast to see if this uses the same system.

BTW, I loved this bit from the link ....

"... conducted their first experimental brew on St Lutgard's Day,
a saint famous for surviving on bread and beer during fasts."

Eating crusty French bread and beer is a way of "fasting" is something I could get very used to ... :laugh8::laugh8:

... especially with a lump of Camembert, Rochefort, Saint Agur or other French cheese! :thumb::thumb:

Sounds great, so long as some berk doesn't include 'craft brewed' anywhere on the label. Might get my tumbling locks shaved off and join them.

I'm rather interested in finding out more about this venture. As for the recipe, the link to the local BBC page suggests that some proper trials may have taken place using a small scale brewing vessel (AKA Grainfather) before launching.

As much of the ethos of this style revolves around simplicity, pragmatism and consistency, I would expect them to use cheap. reliable and locally sourced ingredients as far as possible.

Went on a tour of my local micro brewery and one of the guest brews at the bottle shop was this so got one for later. I’ll post my verdict here and in the “What are you drinking tonight” thread this evening.

Here it is. It didn’t have great head retention but kept a bit of lacing down the glass. Taste wise it’s pretty much a Belgian Dubbel, lots of raisin-like flavours with a well balanced bitter backbone.

Nice, solid beer. Not the most spectacular I’ve had but I enjoyed it.
C1FF0C07-0D16-4872-B306-8AC344F7BC38.jpeg

Latest posts

Back