First wheat beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baz Chaz

Landlord.
Reaction score
Brewed my first attempt at a Wheat Beer last Monday (6 days ago) had a measure and test today. Very surprised and equally impressed, especially as it was a bit of an epic/weird brewday.

Recipe for 15 litre batch

2.5 kg Europils malt
2.5 kg Wheat malt
.50g Crystal 120

40g SAAZ pellet @ 45 mins
40g Hallertau Blanc @ 10 mins

MJ M20 Bavarian yeast

OG target 1.074 (actual 1.070)
FG target 1.019 (currently 1.020)

Going to leave it in the brewfridge for a further week before bottling. Temp for first six days was 22 deg c (leave another week at 20 deg?

Very pleased with my first effort at a wheat beer, not a million miles from Leffe Blonde flavour, this could easily be a repeat brew!

Intent to batch prime @ 5g per litre next weekend all being well.

Yes, the M20 is a nice one to get a Leffe blond clone, which is what I did two years ago. To make it crystal clear I also lagered it for a month.

This yeast can stand higher temperature, in June I also brewed a wheat beer, and it fermented in a room where the temperature reached 28°C. I reached 74% attenuation. Same amount of pilsner and wheat malt as your recipe.

However, it becomes problematic when your beer would reach up to 8% ABV. But according to Brewer's Friend it is only 6.6% yet.

According to my records of the M20, you should be able to reach at least 74% attenuation, which would mean a final SG of 1.018.

• Did you do a single mash step, and at what temperature?
  • How much yeast did you pitch?

@Baz Chaz : from what I can calculate, you have pitched enough yeast, and your mash also seems to be done for fermentability (my mash was the same).

I would say, if possible, bring your fermenting beer back to around 22° C, wait a couple of days and then measure again.

If you bottle, for a wheat beer, you can definitely add more sugar, unless you don't like much carbonation in your beer. I bottled with 10g/l, but I have sturdy bottles.

@chthon .... will nip out and twitch it up to 22° see what it does then bottle at weekend.

Personally not particularly fond of very fizzy beer, but intend to batch prime at 5g per litre which a bit higher than my usual 3g for 'standard' beers, cheers.

Last edited:
Bottled this morning, really pleased with my first attempt and will certainly give the recipie another go !

OG target was 1.074 ..... actual 1.070
FG target was 1.019 ... last week was 1.020 .... today 1.019

ABV target was 7.27% .... actual 6.56%

Edited bit .... Batch primed ordinary sugar @ 90g per litre.

Quite happy..... now the wait clapaathumb..:beer1:

Last edited:
Back