First wine kit advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bettybeers

Reaction score
I've just bought myself a 30 bottle Beaverdale Chardonnay/Semillon kit, thinking I could make said kit using my 24litre fermentation buckets I use for beer brewing. I've had a look around YouTube and everyone seems to be using carboys. Can I get away with just using my fermentation buckets?

I have a 23 litre FV and make all my 30 bottle kits in it, there is 3 inch of space between the 23 litre make and the top edge of the bucket and ive only had a bit of blow through a couple of times (nothing too messy)

It's got an airlock, just wondered if there was any other reason why people seem to use carboys instead of buckets for wine.

Could be an argument about the sealing.

I've always liked the wide necked (carboy type) fermenter for the last two weeks for wine.

Maybe the proper sealing ring. Maybe just me. 😀

I would be nervous if it doesn't have an airlock.

Otherwise fine as chippy said.

Not having an airlock hole isn't a problem a lot of members lay the lid on top and don't snap it on fully allowing Co2 out and no bugs in.

I'll be using a fermenting bucket with large lid for primary (as per instructions), but another identical bucket for the secondary, rather try than the instructions recommendation of a standard wine fermenter. 🤔

Attachments

• IMG_20200715_125953618_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200715_125953618_HDR.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 62
I have no idea what that is either 😂 glad we're on the same page, makes me feel a lot better. Just about to pitch the yeast...

So today if fermentation day 5. Instructions advise to rack this off to a secondary if it is at 1010 at this point, but you can leave it til fermentation is finished completely.

Anybody racked midway through fermentation? I'm inclined to leave it personally...

Eager to hear what you have decided, I started my first brew on Friday. My plan was to let it ferment in the bucket then rack.

I'm going to leave it until fermentation is completed as per Chippy's advice, it's bubbling along happily at the minute. Got to admit it's been closer to 25 than 20 degrees because of the weather recently but still within recommended levels, so should be fine. I'll keep you posted 👍

Yep, I bought a heater pad on recommendation of a friend but not needed. 24 degrees for me and bubbling away like mad. Smells good too.

Yep, I bought a heater pad on recommendation of a friend but not needed. 24 degrees for me and bubbling away like mad. Smells good too.

I bought one a couple of years ago and they do make a huge difference to fermentation times in the winter months but as you have discovered are redundant in the summer months.

Just bottled this wine kit, after leaving the finings to work for 9 days. I used a bottling wand rather than a siphon, which is how I bottle beer and it worked pretty well. The first bottle was cloudy, as I think the sediment settled a bit on the tap, but after that the next 28 were clear. Last bottle got the dreggs. I'm leaving them in the garage to mature but have put the first and last bottle (cloudies) in the fridge in the hope they'll settle and I can have a sample...

Back