First wine made but now stuck

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveE82

Reaction score
Hello everyone I hope im in the right section as im very new to this forum, I've brewed some IPA's and all went very well so my friend gave me a wine kit to try.

I've done everything the instruction said and followed as good as you possibly can, he did say he'd had the kit a while but it should be fine.

I've fermented it the instruction indicate it should finish at 11.8% but mines 12.5% so about right, it tastes lovely its a white dry medium wine and tastes how it should in fact I was impressed with the taste soooooooo my issue that I'm hoping you can help me with.

I added the finings stirred it vigorously for 2 to 3 minutes to degass it left it and hour the stirred it gently adding the clearing agent.

After 7 days its its still the brown colour and if im honest might still have a little gas as the lid seems to push up slightly like domed so to speak.

I know it won't clear if it has gas so what would you guys recommend? Should I add more finings or is there anything I can do ? Will it go off if left how it is etc

Sorry guys very new to wine lol

Big thanks

Degas again and add more finings.

If you can get it locally buy some KwiK Clear or Youngs Clear it and give it a try if not find the cheapest KwiK Clear on Ebay, it lasts ages and does the job brilliantly so worth paying the postage.

Be careful as there are two sizes -

Sufficient to treat 70 - 135 litres & 135 - 270 litres.

1614195480389.png

Last edited:
No need for more finings.
They won't just disappear. Assuming that it has fully fermented, just give it a really vigourous stirring, a few times, a few minutes apart, then leave it somewhere cool for a day or two...

No need for more finings.

I beg to differ, i have had some wines in the past that have been really difficult to clear even though i use a degassing wand so no CO2 left, if you need the wine to clear quick KwiK Clear will do it.

What do you mean it has a brown colour? White wine can look a bronze colour when it's in a large volume.

I agree with Chippy those two part finings will clear just about anything.
Also as Mikes 1992 has pointed out wine in the bucket will look darker than in the bottle.
Since you make beer the thing that is different is beer ferments quickly whereas wine can rumble on for what seems an eternity.
During my high alcohol period i once kept a wine fermenting for nearly a year.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back