First wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New_to_Brew

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm completely new to brewing and wine making, I made an ipa from all grain kit which turned out nice but I just wanted to double check a recipe for a mixed berry wine. I'm using wild sour cherries 6.5lbs, 1lbs of strawberries and. 5lbs of ripe plums. 5lbs of white sugar, 8litres of tap water boiled and cooled. Campden tablet in when everything is mixed together 24hours before I pitch youngs wine yeast and youngs yeast nutrient. I cup of strong black Yorkshire tea, no idea about the amount on this but apparently tannin is important for body and depth?

Does this sound OK? I've tried to find a recipe but they're all different with varying quantities of sugar or berries. I would preferably like to make something of a rose or mild sparkling red, I'm completely clueless when it comes to this so apologies if it's obvious. I do like red wine but noone I drink with does so I'd prefer a lighter summer evening wine.

Also am I OK to use my fermenting bucket for beer for the primary fermentation, I plan on using it for more beer in the future so will this effect my beers at all?

Thanks,
Tom

Looks like a lot of fruit for less than 2 gallons, not a problem but you could make a bigger batch I'd think.
Pectolase will help break down fruity fibre, 1 tsp per gallon.
To make sparkling you either need to let it ferment down to around 1.010 and let remaining sugars carbonate it ( in suitable bottles or keg ) or ferment dry then add tsp sugar per litre or thereabouts per bottle
Beer FV is fine to ferment in, you could use a grain bag to contain fruit and make initial straining/racking off easier.
As above you need to note starting gravity so you can check progress of fermentation.I usually aim for around 1.084 to finish at .998 or so giving ABV around 11.5%.

For carbonation can I not do it the beer bottling way ie add 5g of sugar per litre to the whole batch then bottle after fermentation has finished? Or is that what ferment dry means? Sorry if I'm being stupid I don't know all the lingo yet 😂

So how much bigger do you think I can do?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back