Fish and Chips.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you call it?

• Fish and chips

• Chippy Tea

• Fish supper.

• Other.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tony C

Reaction score
Question?

Is a Chippy Tea, the same as a Fish Supper?

You have two votes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say yes, i think what you call it depends on where you live, its fish and chips or a chippy tea here i think fish supper is more a Scottish thing but its still fish and chips although i may be wrong.

Last edited:
Chippy tea is less specific IMHO in that you might have a steak and kidney pudding and chips and it would still be a chippy tea but wouldnt be a fish supper.

Chippy tea is less specific IMHO in that you might have a steak and kidney pudding and chips and it would still be a chippy tea but wouldn't be a fish supper.

You are right a "chippy tea" could mean anything but if you asked anyone round here what they would eat on chippy tea Friday they would say its Fish, Chips and mushy peas, they wouldn't call it a fish supper.

Well, we made it everyone. Friday is here again. That means a few things. Crucially, the weekend is just about upon us, we've successfully navigated another week, and that first sip of beer is drawing ever closer.
As well as being a beacon of hope at the end of a long working week, Friday also means that it is chippy tea day once again. I don't make the rules.
Yes, the chippy tea is a staple of British culture. It is a rallying point that we can all get behind. Fish and chips on a Friday afternoon is as British as Winston Churchill and William Shakespeare flying a spitfire, drinking a pint of bitter, while complaining about the weather.
However, that which brings us closer together, also divides us.
The politics of what is and isn't included in your chippy tea vary drastically across the length and breadth of the country, and every region thinks that they've got the golden formula, the TRUE chippy tea solution.

https://www.ladbible.com/funny/food...how-should-you-enjoy-your-chippy-tea-20180824

Last edited:
I do like a good fish and chips...I have one just near us but although it's very busy I personally think it's ****....

yes to me its fish n chips but now where i live its a fish supper.
When i first moved to london i used to ask for bread buns. I very quickly was informed that what i was asking for was infact bread rolls.Previously a rolls and royce was a motorcar.!!!

Re clint. Yes i know what you mean. GOOD fish n chips is a lifelong experience i had many relatives who would say years later I remember the great fish n chips we had on holiday at XXXX!
Now it seems to be all about selling takeaway **** to the punters at kicking out time.

It's got to be a special fish supper, always reminds me of a Karen Dunbar sketch.

Best fish and chips for me....Rick Steins in Padstow...

Stein is just fantastic. His knowledge of food is just encyclopedic. His "India" book is probably my favourite band most-used cookbook.

Having grown up with a mum from Belfast, we got a fish supper whether we liked it or not lol

It depends..... if it's an evening meal cos you can't be bothered cooking anything, it's a chippy tea.
if it's a meal in a restaurant or seaside cafe, it's fish 'n' chips.

That's cleared that up....

It depends..... if it's an evening meal cos you can't be bothered cooking anything, it's a chippy tea.
if it's a meal in a restaurant or seaside cafe, it's fish 'n' chips.

That's cleared that up....

Maybe not in Scotland

Here we refer to this type of fast food restaurant as a chippy. Only if you were specifically getting fish and chips would we say we were going for a fish supper, and never heard it called a chippy tea except on Coronation Street.

Back