Fish and Chips.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you call it?

• Fish and chips

• Chippy Tea

• Fish supper.

• Other.

Results are only viewable after voting.
It used to be allways cod and haddock.
With dwindiling stocks I think they use just about anything these days.
I have noticed the shops seem to have stopped advertising the type of fish instead its now large,med,or small fish.

Thanks. Cod is great. I haven't but can get haddock, only frozen, but frozen isn't the worst.

Gotta be fresh if you can get it! I would agree with frozen being great for a lot of foods, but it definitely does something to fish.

Oh man, this thread is putting me in the mood for a fish supper.

No idea why, but I remember as a kid (25 years ago) it was always called 'a paper' "go to the fishy and get a paper". I assume it's because it was wrapped in paper, but then again everything was so why was just fish and chips called 'a paper'

No idea why, but I remember as a kid (25 years ago) it was always called 'a paper' "go to the fishy and get a paper". I assume it's because it was wrapped in paper, but then again everything was so why was just fish and chips called 'a paper'

I have never heard of "a paper" from the chip shop other than the news paper they used to be wrapped in.

If you are doing fish and chips at home try making a "beer batter".
One Rick Stein approved fish and chip shop on the west coast did this and got Ricks award.

Chip shops went downhill when they stopped frying in beef dripping!

And then there is the Old School. Here fish, batter and chips all have equal parts to play in the fish and chip experience, and the medium of their equality is the fat used for frying – beef dripping. Beef dripping is the key to the overall sensation. Unlike vegetable oil, it isn't neutral. It's flavour keys the flavours of the other elements. The batter tends to be very slightly more substantial than that in the Modern School chippies, but then Old School batter is eaten on its own as part of the dish in its own right, not simply as a vehicle for the fish. The chips, too, take on a sweeter, meaty note.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2009/jan/22/best-fish-and-chip-shop

Interesting I myself am from near Gateshead born in the fifties and have never heard of fish n chips being called a paper before just now.

Yes dripping is simply the best we used it at home when i was a kid.

Small admission coming:> nowadays its ALL sunflower and olive oil for me.

Interesting I myself am from near Gateshead born in the fifties and have never heard of fish n chips being called a paper before just now.

Weird isn't it? It must be something to do with the fact it was wrapped in paper. Funnily enough I spoke to me mam after I sent that post and she said she was going for a paper for her tea!

As a bairn back then i used to get batter grains with my chips,But also the vinegar was important,It was acetic acid and caramell known as non brewed condiment.Malt vinegar would just not do.

I too think they were better wrapped in newspaper rather than polystyrene cartons.

OH !! the horror of getting old.

More observations on chippies: in the South the chippies dont do gravy. Also the pies are *****. But the biggest difference I was reminded of is that they dont skin the fish before battering. I find that alien and in fact when I was in a chippy in Keswick last week they even state on the board that the fish has been skinned.

When I come to do my retirement project of establishing a definitive line between the north and the south it will be a dot to dot of towns that use sparklers and serve skinless fish.

Latest posts

Back