Fish and Chips.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you call it?

• Fish and chips

• Chippy Tea

• Fish supper.

• Other.

Results are only viewable after voting.
The portions are big over here
That is a good value for all that food. I call any healthy meal I can make at home for $3 or so a good deal. While I can eat whatever portion I'm served in a restaurant, it's usually more food at one time than I'm used to.

Fish and chips is not as big here on a regular basis. There are some private owners or little-known chains that sell mainly seafood but they kind of are in the background. The churches put on a lot of fish fries in the Spring but they are partially interested in raising funds so it's not a good deal.

Fries!!! Still French
Not sure I get what you meant there.

Just to throw this out there. As well as the regular fish supper, around the Greater Glasgow area (possibly beyond), you can also get a "Fish Tea", which is a sit in fish supper with bread & butter and a pot of tea. If you ever happen to be passing the Blue Lagoon at Glasgow Central under the Heilanman's Umbrella, it is a must to pop in for one.

That is a good value for all that food. I call any healthy meal I can make at home for $3 or so a good deal. While I can eat whatever portion I'm served in a restaurant, it's usually more food at one time than I'm used to.

Fish and chips is not as big here on a regular basis. There are some private owners or little-known chains that sell mainly seafood but they kind of are in the background. The churches put on a lot of fish fries in the Spring but they are partially interested in raising funds so it's not a good deal.

Not sure I get what you meant there.
The term fries is what I'm referring to
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_fries

Curry sauce or gravy with chips is beautiful, but not when there's fish involved.

Chips, gravy and a steak pudding though - now you're talking. Can't get a steak pudding as far south as Leicester though.

Hell yeah I like that curry sauce on my fish and on my chips that's good stuff lol

And also disturbingly viscous, but hey, it's still a good flavour

French fries"
We went to Bruge earlier this year and they have a potato museum, telling all about the origins of the potato and 'fries'. According to the museum fries were always a Belgian thing dating back centuries but also enjoyed in neighbouring Fance and during the first world war American soldiers were given fries by some appreciative French citizens and the soldiers called them 'French fries', hence the name. (I didnt spend all my time in the potato museum I also tried some lovely beers!) The belgians eat there fries twice fried with mayonnaise. Very nice they were too.
EDIT..My wife thinks the legend was that the American soldiers were actually in Belgium when they were given the fried potatoes but because the Belgian people were speaking French the troops thought they were on the French side of the border and called them 'French fries'..same result either way.!

Last edited:
I often used to visit northern Europe on buisiness and really enjoyed the beers
the Belgians and Germans are cracking good at it.

We went to Bruge earlier this year and they have a potato museum, telling all about the origins of the potato and 'fries'. According to the museum fries were always a Belgian thing dating back centuries but also enjoyed in neighbouring Fance and during the first world war American soldiers were given fries by some appreciative French citizens and the soldiers called them 'French fries', hence the name. (I didnt spend all my time in the potato museum I also tried some lovely beers!) The belgians eat there fries twice fried with mayonnaise. Very nice they were too.
Belgium hands down make the best chips I've ever tasted. Drowned in mayo too, never would have thought that'd work but it does...

Back