Fish and Chips.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you call it?

• Fish and chips

• Chippy Tea

• Fish supper.

• Other.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Fries: bake off at 140° C, then let them cool, afterwards final baking at 175-180° C for finishing them, and getting them crispy.

As for the fried fish, I like it best with tartar sauce.

The Dutch have "kibbeling" which is also fried fish, but mostly NOT eaten with fries, just with tartar sauce or another sauce which goes well with fried fish. It is something that you can buy on most Dutch markets to consume as a snack.

For anyone who likes the chippy curry sauce, or the curries that seem peculiar to chinky takeaways, take a trip to your local Home Bargains, they sell a powder curry sauce that very similar and knocks up in minutes.

Cheers TC

Re:> Tony C Ive read thats how they get the unique taste, The curry spices are cooked in about a minute in a hot wok

Instead of being simmered for an hour or more alla Indian resturants.

I had a good f&c in Berlin, and a VERY good one in Sterling (Schotland). Mediocre ones here in the Netherlands. It's somehow not possible here to get AND the fish AND the chips right.

We went to Bruge earlier this year and they have a potato museum, telling all about the origins of the potato and 'fries'. According to the museum fries were always a Belgian thing dating back centuries but also enjoyed in neighbouring Fance and during the first world war American soldiers were given fries by some appreciative French citizens and the soldiers called them 'French fries', hence the name. (I didnt spend all my time in the potato museum I also tried some lovely beers!) The belgians eat there fries twice fried with mayonnaise. Very nice they were too.
EDIT..My wife thinks the legend was that the American soldiers were actually in Belgium when they were given the fried potatoes but because the Belgian people were speaking French the troops thought they were on the French side of the border and called them 'French fries'..same result either way.!
First fry in fat, second fry in oil: that's how it's meant to be.

The main discussion here is whether chips are 'patat' or 'friet'.

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friet#/media/Bestand:Kaart_patat_friet_frieten.svg

Latest posts

Back