Fish cakes - tips please!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I unexpectedly had to make tea for the family today from bits and bobs we already had in, so I tried to make some fish cakes.
Flavour was good, but they came apart a bit in the pan while I was frying them… any tips please in case I do them again?
I used:
  • buttery Mash with plenty of S&P (it was still a bit warm when I used it, as I didn’t have much time)
  • chopped parsley leaves
  • tinned tuna (drained)
  • splash of rice wine vinegar
I dusted them with flour and then shallow fried in a hot pan - or tried to.

Served with some shredded Savoy cabbage I found in the fridge (blanched) and a tomato salsa with some fresh green chillies that were a bit hotter than expected LoL

Looks about the same way I make them. Never had them fall apart. Might be better to let the potato go cold, first.
Usually coat with golden bread crumbs, but that wouldn't hold them together.
Thanks AA - they were stuck together pretty well until I started frying them, but then the nice crispy layer kept crumbling off and the sides went a bit mushy.
I agree: should have refrigerated them (but had hungry mouths to feed) athumb..

Too much fat and or water will cause them to break up when fish cakes are fried. If you are using left over mash, add some flour, to bind it. When making fresh wants to be cold potato with no added milk or butter, just season the spuds.
Ahaaaa! Yes that could be it - brilliant: many thanks :hat:

Latest posts

Back