Fizzy stout.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 to what @Scottyburto says about full fermentation.

FYI anyone using this kit, these are my notes on this brew from "Mangrove Jacks Irish Stout February Giveaway" competition thread ...

(@jeg3 reported identical OG & FG) ...

Update...

Just bottled MJ Dry Irish Stout, on Day 16 in FV (at constant 20degC).

Achieved FG of 1.009, from OG of 1.046 (i.e. ABV of 5%).

Dry-hopped from Day 9. (Could probably have packaged from couple of days ago, as SG static and brew clear w/ trub well settled, but wanted to get most from dry-hops)

Bulk primed for 500ml bottles w/ 90g dextrose in 250ml water. Aiming for 1.8 vol CO2, (think style range is 1.5-2.0 vol?)

Brew tastes very promising indeed - even pre-conditioned! Already has really well-rounded depth of flavour. Complex with noticeable but not overpowering spice tones from Goldings addition.

Not sure how patient I'm going to be able to be with this one! Managed to yield 45 x 500ml plus a 250ml. All bottles now in crates beside radiator to condition for next two weeks.

Think latter 'half-pint' bottle may be lucky if it survives a full week!

I used MJ Beer Enhancer 2 (for required extra fermentables).

Warning: Fermentation went nuclear for a couple of days pushing krausen through airlock. So, upgraded airlock to blow-off tube. Downgraded back to airlock around Day 4.

Last edited:
Every year goes by it seems to get worse! It's 4.1% abv now which means with the sneaky tax loop hole Coors cooked up its probably actually 3.6%abv.
I agree. Why is it getting worse? I remember cutting my teeth on Guinness as a young sprog. Mum used to drink it at the pub and would always let me have a few sips etc. I have always had a fondness for the stuff. Not sure now though. I don’t often purchase beer these days as there is always brew to be drunk at home. However, I did buy a 4 pack of Guinness the other day and was most disappointed to find it lacked any flavour.... no I don’t have Covid 😣 I don’t think ??🤣

Hello everyone.

I've just put a Mangrove Jack's Irish Stout (following the kit recipe) into the garage for the last 7 days of conditioning, that was bottled 10 days ago. Obviously had to test it.

It's too fizzy for a stout.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to how I can calm it down. My ideas were either to shake it well before opening or alternatively undoing the lids now in a hope that it flattens this week.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Phil.
If you're comparing it to draught Guinness it will be fizzy.
Bear in mind that draught Guinness is not a natural product.
It's infused with nitrogen gas. I myself prefer Guinness original , although Guinness original isn't actually Guinness original as it used to be bottle conditioned until the early 90s. These days it is pasteurized and carbonated.
At least carbon dioxide is natural in beer unlike nitrogen.
However to reduce the carbonation in your beer if you have screw tops or flip tops just loosen them every couple of days until you reach the level you're happy with. If you're using crown cap you'll have to remove and replace the caps until you reach the level of carbonation you're happy with.

That could be your problem, it might not have finished fermenting when you bottled.

Kit instructions are notoriously optimistic time-eise, most of on on here follow the general rule of at least 2 weeks (14 days) fermenting. I often leave mine longer, I've even bottled brews on day25: leaving it longer will not harm the brew. The only way to tell it's finished is to take hydrometer readings several days apart, when they are stable it's done.

I think whether you batch prime, or add spoonfuls of sugar, or use a priming syrup, that 5-6 grams/a teaspoonful per 500 ml bottle equivalent is a lot. I generally take half that as a starting point.

Thank you @Scottyburto, @Poddyc (got your name right now) and @darrellm . I did just follow the instructions. I will be more attentive to my future brews.
@Davegase it was my own personal requirement of a stout that made me judge it too fizzy. Thanks for the info.
Keep the info coming please everyone. I am learning so much.
This Juicy IPA in the FV now will turn out immense.

+1 to what @Scottyburto says about full fermentation.

FYI anyone using this kit, these are my notes on this brew from "Mangrove Jacks Irish Stout February Giveaway" competition thread ...

(@jeg3 reported identical OG & FG) ...

I used MJ Beer Enhancer 2 (for required extra fermentables).

Warning: Fermentation went nuclear for a couple of days pushing krausen through airlock. So, upgraded airlock to blow-off tube. Downgraded back to airlock about Day 4.
Yes, mine went mental too. I was washing the airlock every 20 minutes at one point.

@phillystein, you're very welcome!

FYI, I coincidental also brewed MJ Juicy Session IPA a few months ago.

Used MJ's 'Light' Pure Liquid Malt Extract 1.2kg, as the additional fermentables.

OG of 1.045. Then an unexpectedly long initial lag-phase of three days, which was a worry. Short-lived, however, as fermentation again went nuclear, requiring a few days of industrial-strength blow-off precautions.

As a consequence, I was a bit slow off the mark and dry-hopped late on Day 18 when brew was already at what turned out to be FG of 1.010.

Bottled on Day 26. So, bottled after further 8 days on hops. Bulk primed as before and carbonated to 1.8 vol CO2 with 90g dextrose.

Mango addition is curious, but think it works well with hops. Brew was great at the first tasting, and I’ve found it gets ever better with further ageing - if you have the patience!

Despite the initial worry over the extended lag-phase (I thought I may have inadvertently 'cooked' the yeast when warming to soften extract in the unopened pouch), the brew came out really good.

Found it to be an excellent kit - heartily recommended! Now sadly down to the last few bottles!

Definitely on my list to do again.

Last edited:
Agree with all the comments on here. I know mine had finished fermenting when bottled.

Any my twopenneth - 6g of sugar per 500ml bottle is wheat beer levels of carbonation, it's about 4 volumes of CO2 which will make for exceptionally fizzy beer and gushing bottles unless they're chilled. One way to take the fizz out is to decant into a jug and then from the jug into a glass.

I don't like high levels of carbonation, even in wheat beers so I limit that to 2.5 vols now, and I find I have less gushers.

For info I primed 40 pints of the MJ stout kit with 85g granulated sugar, diluted in 200ml hot water. Each bottle had 5ml via a syringe.

... Also want to be careful with high levels in repurposed commercial glass bottles.

I'm maybe overly nervous about 'bottle bombs', but I'm never comfortable aiming for higher than 3.0 vol CO2 in any of my bottled brews.

And, like @jeg3, I find 2.5 vol CO2 plenty, even for Belgians and Wheat beers.

Last edited:
Cheers @jeg3 and @Poddyc. All great new knowledge this.
If you haven't already it's worth getting a good homebrew book, it will have all skinds of useful info, including carbonation levels for different beer styles, priming media, and methods.

Homebrew Beer by Greg Hughes is good, I've also got Brew by James Morton but I don't really like his style. Also got one of Graham Wheeler's books

Pour it into a large jug and serve it from the jug.

I always do that anyway. Just seems good practice to me. Have to say I have never had a 'bottle bomb', or anything like that. but I am these days regarding 3 g per bottle nominal as a max figure for most beers, and may consider reducing it to 2 and half. I always use repurposed glass beer bottles.

If you're comparing it to draught Guinness it will be fizzy.
Bear in mind that draught Guinness is not a natural product.
It's infused with nitrogen gas. I myself prefer Guinness original , although Guinness original isn't actually Guinness original as it used to be bottle conditioned until the early 90s. These days it is pasteurized and carbonated.
At least carbon dioxide is natural in beer unlike nitrogen.
However to reduce the carbonation in your beer if you have screw tops or flip tops just loosen them every couple of days until you reach the level you're happy with. If you're using crown cap you'll have to remove and replace the caps until you reach the level of carbonation you're happy with.
Have you tried the Guiness West Indies porter ? A good example of how good Guiness can brew when they want to and the accountants haven’t gotten a hold of the recipe

Yes I've tried the Guinness West Indies porter many times 🥴 it's a much better beer ! It's not bottle conditioned, but I don't mind that because I stopped saving yeast to make starters many years ago !

+1 West Indies Porter. I really enjoyed the Guinness rye ale too, but don't think they make it anymore. The milk stout was bang average.

There's a Nigerian variant I've seen in a few places but haven't picked up yet. Last time I heard the Nigerian Guinness market was second largest after Ireland itself.

Back