Fizzy stout.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have recently brewed a stout and found the head is very frothy. So much so that i need a 2nd glass to pour half the beer into.
The grain bill is 4kg Munich, 500g of chocolate and biscuit malts and 300g of rolled oats, Safale s-04 yeast. Bottled 28th May.
6g per 500ml conditioning sugar.
I would like to brew a second batch but not with the froth. Suggestions please.

I have recently brewed a stout and found the head is very frothy. So much so that i need a 2nd glass to pour half the beer into.
The grain bill is 4kg Munich, 500g of chocolate and biscuit malts and 300g of rolled oats, Safale s-04 yeast. Bottled 28th May.
6g per 500ml conditioning sugar.
I would like to brew a second batch but not with the froth. Suggestions please.
Just looked at a priming sugar calculator on brewers friend and it recommends about 2.5g per 500ml of stout.

... Also want to be careful with high levels in repurposed commercial glass bottles.

I'm maybe overly nervous about 'bottle bombs', but I'm never comfortable aiming for higher than 3.0 vol CO2 in any of my bottled brews.

And, like @jeg3, I find 2.5 vol CO2 plenty, even for Belgians and Wheat beers.
I Agree, but if you use wheat beer bottles they are good enough to cope with higher carbonation beers as opposed to some ale bottles whose contents were not highly carbed. I used a few ale bottles and lost a few over the years due to the bottle cracking.

Just looked at a priming sugar calculator on brewers friend and it recommends about 2.5g per 500ml of stout.
Thanks for this. The bottles don't appear to be over carbonated as the fizz on opening is not great. Having said that thanks. Which carbonating calculator did you use and can you send me a link to it please.

Thanks for this. The bottles don't appear to be over carbonated as the fizz on opening is not great. Having said that thanks. Which carbonating calculator did you use and can you send me a link to it please.
Yeah Brewers Friend. Google priming calculator it's comes top of list

Latest posts

Back