Flaked barley/oats/wheat - do they add fermentable sugar in the mash?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keruso

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm a grainfather owner. I use the grainfather online recipe tool. I often add flaked barley, flaked oats and flaked wheat to my recipes, each have a Points per Pound per Gallon (PPG) value and therefore contribute gravity points in the mash. However I've also read that flaked barley for example doesn't add fermentable sugar when mashed. Is there a firm answer on this, which adjuncts add fermentable sugar in the mash and those that don't ? much appreciated.

They all do. The only mixup I can imagine is saying they don't contribute sugars when mashed alone because they have no diastatic power.

If mashed alone (as in steeping) they will not produce sugars. If mashed in conjunction with a diastatic malt they will produce sugars. They require the presence of diastatic enzymes that only develop as a consequence of malting.

If mashed alone (as in steeping) they will not produce sugars. If mashed in conjunction with a diastatic malt they will produce sugars. They require the presence of diastatic enzymes that only develop as a consequence of malting.
Thanks that makes sense, I only ever use them as a small addition to a base malt for body, mouthfeel etc. thanks

Latest posts

Back