Flaked oats

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BREWERS DROOP

Landlord.
Reaction score
So today I received flaked oats,not what I have used ever before,always received when ordered the porridge type looking oats.Do I put this through the mill? it’s uncrushed? Do I soak it,boil it for 30 mins before adding to mash.Or just chuck it in the mash as is?

54393c95-2323-419e-9515-584bb8e6cea3-jpeg.14373

1cad4278-d9e0-4e42-8276-7c9a8b94c699-jpeg.14374

Attachments

• 54393C95-2323-419E-9515-584BB8E6CEA3.jpeg
    54393C95-2323-419E-9515-584BB8E6CEA3.jpeg
    35.8 KB · Views: 368
  • 1CAD4278-D9E0-4E42-8276-7C9A8B94C699.jpeg
    1CAD4278-D9E0-4E42-8276-7C9A8B94C699.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 361
Last edited by a moderator:
Just chuck em in the mash as is. Whered you get em from. They look like the terrified oats you can get from GEB. I think the processing is different but they do the same things

The first picture is what Malt Miller sent,it says uncrushed Flaked oats.
The second picture is what I have been using for ages,and is flaked oats.????

Looking at the first photograph I reckon that they are malted and require milling, otherwise you won't get a deal of flavour or sugars from them.

I suggest that you mill a small amount and then make porridge out of it so that you can check the "maltiness".

Personally, I just use Lidl porridge oats, but I toast them (heated and stirred constantly in a clean wok until they go brown) before I stick them in the mash.

BTW, I always toast a bit extra to the recipe and put it to one side for the next mornings breakfast. SWMBO and myself both love the flavour of toasted oats in a porridge but generally can't be bothered to toast it before breakfast!

The first picture is what Malt Miller sent,it says uncrushed Flaked oats.
The second picture is what I have been using for ages,and is flaked oats.????
You've got a choice of two options.
  1. Mill the malted oats that you've been sent. Cook the resulting milled oats in some of your brewing water for about 10 minutes like you're making a porridge. When it looks cooked tip it into the mash with the rest of the grains.
  2. Go to your local supermarket, buy their cheapest breakfast porridge oats and use those like you did before. These don't need cooking because they are gelatinised (steamed) during the production process before they are rolled so that they roll flat and don't just shatter.

Just been talking to a brewer he said don’t mill them just throw them in,I can mill them but you get a very cloudy wort.
He said wheat oats and barley in this form don’t need milling.
I will try a different brew with them,so I’m going to go the supermarket for some flaked oats as per my last recipe.

Also I asked for rice hulls,and they sent me oat hulls? Same but not very happy with Malt Miller.

I just you cheapo porridge oats they are prepped ready to use just not too much as it will go sticky in the mash just like making porridge and can cause a stuck mash or if your recipe needs a fair amount add some oat husks to help separate the mash

I have done the recipe a few times no problem it’s an oat stout with the porridge oats,it’s when you order something and it’s not what I expect,and never used before.

yeah do agree if they contacted you before dispatch and say would this be ok in its place it goes a long way but just to send something that is not exactly what you ordered is a no no

Just been talking to a brewer he said don’t mill them just throw them in,I can mill them but you get a very cloudy wort.
He said wheat oats and barley in this form don’t need milling.
I will try a different brew with them,so I’m going to go the supermarket for some flaked oats as per my last recipe.

Also I asked for rice hulls,and they sent me oat hulls? Same but not very happy with Malt Miller.

I was trying to find a source of rice hulls recently to address my ongoing issues around too fine a grain crush for my pride and joy, the Grainfather.
It seems surprisingly difficult to source such in the UK and from memory, the MM advertises Oat hulls and not Rice hulls.
As he had sold out of Oat hulls when I thinking that this might be an approach, you may be luckier than you imply!

As the reason for using is just to make easier pathways through the grain for the wort, I doubt that the type of hull is critical, as all will presumably do the same sort of job for the plants and for the beer.

Those look like the uncrushed malted oats I have, I treated them like any other uncrushed grain and milled them. "Uncrushed flaked oats" is a bit of a contradiction. Uncrushed malted oats will need milled and can then be mashed like any other grain.

I've also found that rice hulls don't really exist in the UK, which isn't surprising since we don't really grow rice. I've used oat husks a couple of times and they do the job fine.

Back