Flame out temp and times

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimosabby

Regular.
Reaction score
gents,

Read some stuff on this but could do with a bit more clarity maybe I’ve been reading it to long...

At flame out so just below boil temp I’ve added the hop additions and left them there for 30minutes stirring every few minutes. I wanted to use these for aroma and minimal bittering. I presume I messed up here?

What temp should I lower before adding flame out hops? I just started using the grain father second batch mosaic IPA

Thanks

Kimosabby

No, you've not messed up. The temperature can be anywhere from just under the boil to around 50-60C, where DMS is no longer volatilised and any bacteria that could get in, is no longer killed. 80C appears to be a point many aim for.

I’ve read 80 in most posts. Using the grain father I’d need to use the counter chiller until 80 then add?

Where does whirpooking fit into this stage

I use either bags or a Hop Spider and depending on the planned brew I introduce the Aroma Hops at:
  • 5 or 10 minutes before the end of the boil (recommended in some AG kits and generally removed before Flameout), or
  • At Flameout (generally left in for 30 minutes and then removed before cooling), or
  • After cooling the wort down to 80*C (generally left in for 30 minutes and then removed before further cooling).
My taste buds are shot (old age and too many spicy foods) so I can't say that any one of these is better than the others, but I make up a Hop Tea before bottling/kegging in order to get that bit of extra "hoppiness" that I like.

After completing the cooling and removing the cooler (and any other bits of kit in there such as the Hop Spider) from the Boiler I whirlpool the wort and leave it for at least 15 minutes to let the debris settle towards the centre before draining to the FV. The wort is drawn off via a small (8mm) take-off at the outer edge of the Boiler without any filtration.

I chill to 80ish then add them to the spider. I let them stand for half an hour or so finish cooling then remove,giving the bag a twist to squeeze out the hop juice.

I toss them in after The immersion chiller is turned on. I'll stir the hops in if they are leaf hops for a couple minutes then get to sanitizing the fermenter. 20 or so minutes later run the wort into the fermenter pressing the hops, if leaf, with a sanitized spoon.

For maximum aroma dry hop.

Latest posts

Back