Flame out, Whirlpool at 90 °C, hopstand?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bashley

Reaction score
I'll be trying to brew my 4th brew tomorrow and the recipe calls for a hop addition at 'Whirlpool at 90 °C 20min'

What the hell does that mean! ? Could someone please help me to understand how these 0min hop additions work?

Does 'whirlpool at 90c 20min' mean you take off the boil, add 0min hop additions, whirlpool and leave to cool for 20mins before cooling down with a cooler?

Are there any real benefits to these 0min additions techniques or should I just go with standard flame out?

As I'm a new brewer I'm also confused as to when I should whirlpool. Is it directly after adding the 0min additions?

FYI, Im using the grainfather.

Thanks a lot for the help! Sooooooo very much to learn!

You cool the wort to 90c, add hops, whirlpool and leave for 20 mins to stand. Then finish cooling.

Doing this means the hops release a lot of aroma but no bitterness .

I've always kept these additions to 79° or below though (as per James Morton's book).

Once you switch off the boil, and add your cooler, 79° is reached in 3-4 minutes. If you're aiming for 90°, you'll hit that even quicker .

Can someone describe what "whirlpool" actually is?
Is it as simple as stirring the wort into a whirlpool like you get in the bath when you remove the plug, and then chucking the hops Inthe middle of it?
Is that it? Or do you have to keep stirring to keep the whirlpool going?

Give it a stir once in a while thru the hopstsnd period.

Many commercial and some hi-tech home brewers have systems which create a whirlpool in the boiler with pumps. This collects the trub I’m a cone at the base of the boiler....

I’ve got a hi-tech way to do a whirlpool, a stainless steel paint stirrer and a cordless drill. Does the job perfectly, just don’t put it straight onto full power, gradually increase the speed else you’ll have boiling hot wort splashing everywhere!

Is whirlpool continuous for a home-brewer? Or just at the start, or every now and again?

Is whirlpool continuous for a home-brewer? Or just at the start, or every now and again?

You don't need to worry about it too much, If you like just put the hops in give it a good stir put the lid on and leave it 20 mins.. then after 20 mins continue cooling process.. If like me you have an immersion then the occasional stir will aid cooling by moving the wort around the chiller.

one thing I would say is especialy if stirring during cooling.. after I remove the chiller I try and let the wort rest for a while , this helps the wort to settle and clear mostly wort comes out of the tap/filter into the FV.. things like that though depend on equipment and setup.

Back