Flame Out?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuart_A

Reaction score
Hi all

Please excuse the daft question but if a recipe says add hops at the end of the boil (flame out?) what exactly does this mean?

If the boild is 60mins and you add at 0mins. Do you just cool immediately and add cooled wort to the FV? Or do you switch the boil off but leave it say 10mins to infuse then cool and move to FV? If the later, whats a good length of time to wait?

Thanks

I take this to mean add as soon as cooled below 80 degrees. Then when fully cooled transfer to FV. I have been dumping everything into the FV but recent batches I have strained it in.

I could be doing it completely wrong though!

Hi!
Most essential hop oils evaporate above about 65C, so try making a hop tea made with your flavour and aroma hops and adding it to the cooled wort in the FV (or even leaving them out and adding them after fermentation has finished).

Some people dump the flame out hops in as soon as they turn the flame out.. a lot of people myself included put them in when the wort gets down to 80 degrees.. so I basically cool to 80 and then STOP. dump in the flame out hops and leave them steeping for 20-30mins.. (this is often called a hop rest) then turn chiller back on and proceed cooling before transfering and pitching.

HTH

I generally find that by waiting 10mins after turning off the heat it's dropped to 80C, I then drop the hops in for 30mins and cool after that.

This process has often been quoted as an alternative to dry hopping, can anyone give a definitive answer? I used to always think dry hopping was essential for a hoppy ale, but recently have produced some great hoppy ales from flameout hopping with no dry hop stage.

For my first AG beer, I didn't know about cooking to 80C. I'd planned to leave for half an hour after putting the hops in, got distracted by my 2 year old wanting to play in the garden and ended up leaving it for 2 and a bit hours! I tasted the pre-pitch wort and it was the most bitter thing I've ever tasted! It's mellowed a bit since though, luckily.

AG number 2 was brewed on Saturday and I cooled to 80C so hopefully it's turned out well!

For my first AG beer, I didn't know about cooking to 80C. I'd planned to leave for half an hour after putting the hops in, got distracted by my 2 year old wanting to play in the garden and ended up leaving it for 2 and a bit hours! I tasted the pre-pitch wort and it was the most bitter thing I've ever tasted! It's mellowed a bit since though, luckily.

AG number 2 was brewed on Saturday and I cooled to 80C so hopefully it's turned out well!

Yeah if you dumped them in right after flame out and and left it to cool naturally you probably shot your IBUs up a bit.. For no chill brewers I think they make allowances for this. I suspect time may help it though.

I generally find that by waiting 10mins after turning off the heat it's dropped to 80C, I then drop the hops in for 30mins and cool after that.

This process has often been quoted as an alternative to dry hopping, can anyone give a definitive answer? I used to always think dry hopping was essential for a hoppy ale, but recently have produced some great hoppy ales from flameout hopping with no dry hop stage.

From what I've read 0min/steeping hops give flavour and some aroma dry hopping give aroma and some flavour. Having said that I've never dry hopped so can't really comment on how exactly true this is

Latest posts

Back