Flameout addition confusion.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewista

Reaction score
Hi,

Currently mashing Greg Hugh's "Amarillo Single Hop Ale" and have a query.

This is my fifth all grain brew but my first which requires a flameout addition. I'm a BIAB brewer and at the end of the boil I move my 17 litre stock pot from the hob to the sink to cool. I can usually get the temp down to pitching temp in about 20 minutes having refilled the sink 3-4 times. As I understand it getting the temp down as quick as possible is beneficial to the beers clarity. My query is when I add the flameout hops do they just stay in the wort until I reach pitching temp however long that is. Do I add them as soon as I take the pot off the hob or do I wait till I get the temp down to 80 degrees (I think I read that somewhere that this ensures ni IBU's are added).

Thanks in advance,

Brewista.

If as you say you can cool down to pitching temp in 20 mins I would not worry. I generally do not do flameout as I no chill and as you say it would be in the wort too long and draw extra IBU's out of the hops. Flameout means what it generally says at flameout and as you are able to cool the wort down within 20 mins I would not worry too much about extra IBU's as once it reaches 80c or below it will only extract flavour and not extra bitterness, so IMO I would leave the Flameout hops in until you have cooled it fully in 20 mins

I do a similar method to you with a stock pot and cooling it in the sink.

I usually add a bit more cold water post-boil and/or ice cubes and/or just leave it 10mins, until it's down to 80C, then put the flameout hops in for 30mins and then cool in the sink. I hadn't though of putting them straight in during cooling as Baron describes but that would work. Any extra IBUs at this stage will be minimal.

I do no chill. I add flameout hops at the end of the boil, leave the boiler to settle for 30 mins then transfer hot to the FV. Yes I do get some bitterness out of them so with some recipes I reduce the 60 minute hops a bit to compensate, but usually it isn't necesary.

Hi Darrellm,

Once cooled I've tried using an auto siphon to transfer to the FV but that kept getting blocked with hop sludge and trub so I now use hop bags in the boil and just add via a sterilised sieve. This still results in some trub making into the FV though. I'm not overly worried about this as it seems to all drop out in the FV over a couple of weeks but I was just wondering what you do?

Cheers,

Brewista

Hi Cwrw666,

I've not tried no chill but have read a little on here about it. The brew I'm doing now is only half of the ingredients I bought so may do another batch soon and not chill so I can compare. On the face of it it would seem a lot easier.

Cheers,

Brian.

Other than agreeing with what the others have said, my only comment is I am surprised that you can get 17 litres of wort down from off the boil to pitching temperature within 20 minutes using only 3 - 4 sinks of cold water. It takes me twice that with only 9 litres in my stock pot using the same number of sinkfuls of cold water !! asad1

Hi,

I did say "about 20 minutes" which in reality is looking more like 30+ and I've never actually timed it before, it was just meant to be a rough guide to my process.
Nearly cooled now though athumb..

... and it's not 17 litres of wort, that's the size of my stock pot. I start with 16 litres and lose about 4.5 to the boil so it's only actually roughly 11.5 of wort I'm cooling.

Cheers,

Brewista.

... and it's not 17 litres of wort, that's the size of my stock pot. I start with 16 litres and lose about 4.5 to the boil so it's only actually roughly 11.5 of wort I'm cooling.
Cheers,
Brewista.
Still a quicker than me!!
My pot is 11 litres, so that's a working capacity of 9 litres, or it can boil over, which is the last thing I want given the mess it creates. I also top up during the boil to maintain the liquid volume. Even so after I have removed the hops, in bags with spoons to weigh them down, I only end up with about 8 litres of wort max to cool.
Anyway whatever time it takes it gives me chance to finish tidying up, which I have now started to do throughout so that I don't have a lot of stuff to sort out at the very end. athumb..

Once cooled I've tried using an auto siphon to transfer to the FV but that kept getting blocked with hop sludge and trub so I now use hop bags in the boil and just add via a sterilised sieve. This still results in some trub making into the FV though. I'm not overly worried about this as it seems to all drop out in the FV over a couple of weeks but I was just wondering what you do?

I do a smaller boil 12/13L in a 15L pot so I can just about lift it and tip it into the FV via a sieve. If I was doing bigger volumes I'd get a pot with a ball valve at the bottom.

I do a smaller boil 12/13L in a 15L pot so I can just about lift it and tip it into the FV via a sieve. If I was doing bigger volumes I'd get a pot with a ball valve at the bottom.
I get round that problem by tipping about 2- 3 litres at a time into a smaller pot, then tip that into the FV via my sieve. Gives me a much better control over what I am doing and I am much less likely to drop the lot on the floor. athumb..

I've always found my beers to have a better, late hopped flavour if I cool to 80C before adding flameout hops. I leave to steep for 10 minutes at this point before cooling to pitching temp.

Still a quicker than me!!
My pot is 11 litres, so that's a working capacity of 9 litres, or it can boil over, which is the last thing I want given the mess it creates. I also top up during the boil to maintain the liquid volume. Even so after I have removed the hops, in bags with spoons to weigh them down, I only end up with about 8 litres of wort max to cool.
Anyway whatever time it takes it gives me chance to finish tidying up, which I have now started to do throughout so that I don't have a lot of stuff to sort out at the very end. athumb..

The last two brews I've filled the stock pot dangerously close to the top! I stand over it and as soon as a boil is about to start I turn the heat right down and break up the foam gently. I have a spray gun with Starsan in on hand as well as a jug of chilled Ashbeck water just in case. After a few minutes I turn the heat back up to gentle boil and so far there hasn't been any issues. Today I ended up with 12.5 litres so I either lost less to the grain or the boil or both but that meant I had to pour that from the pot through the sieve into the FV. I managed OK but really wouldn't be happy lifting more than this and ideally I want to be able to have more to show for 4-5 hours brewing and am considering a Brew Monk. For now though I'm loving this hobby and learning something new every time I brew. Many thanks to all those that commented above.

Latest posts

Back