Flat Beer, I love it!

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Hazydays

Reaction score
I really enjoy a traditional cask conditioned bitter served from a hand pump. I have found that if you buy the same beer in a can or bottle they seem to be massively over carbonated, First question- why is this? In terms of my own home brew I bottle my beer in 500ml bottles, last time I made an IPA and used one carbonisation drop in each bottle. This was a little less than recommended, but turned out pretty good. A nice soft frothy head but with a light subtle fizz. However I would like to try talking this a little further. I saw a guy on YouTube who bottled a “Landlord” clone without any gas or sugar, and claimed it tasted much more like what you would drink in a pub. Second question - what are the implications of bottling with ultra low sugar and no gas? Will the beer spoil, or have a shorter life?

DrFish

Reaction score
I'd be interested in opinions on this, as I'm not a fan of fizzy beer.

Nicks90

Landlord.
Reaction score
I always under carb my English ales and bitters, as like you I don't like fizzy beer

Don't get me wrong, some styles it's suits. American ipas need high carb to get that hop profile up your nose, and saisons should be a mouthful of peppery super dry fizz... But ale? No

I would highly recommend the fizzics draught pour beer engine dispenser thing. I always use it on my ales and it 'knocks' the remaining fizz out and creates a beautiful creamy head.

Reaction score
@Hazydays whether it's better or worse is a subjective thing but certainly I agree with you there's a big difference between hand pumped cask ale and kegged or bottled versions.

I think the risk of having little or no carbonation is you're leaving the beer exposed to oxygen so it'll quickly oxidise/go stale - feel free to search to forum for discussions on the wisdom of CAMRAs policy around this point!

I think a lot of homebrewing advice is skewed by the dominance of American content, a nation that seems to prefer their beer colder and more carbonated.

So when I was bottling beers I found myself gradually reducing the amount of priming sugar to get the level of carbonation I like in my beers - for me the actual number of volumes of CO2 is irrelevant, it's about what you like.

Now I've switched to kegs I'm doing similar:

I've raised the temperature of my kegerator from 6 to 8degC - important because CO2 dissolves more readily at lower temperatures (=> more fizzy)...

...and also backed off my regulator from 15 to 10-12psi - again, it's just a number on a dial, I prefer to go with my taste buds.

I felt 6degC was fine for American IPAs but too cold too properly taste my Bitters, Porters & Stouts. Of course it'll warm up eventually but I'm happier serving at 8degC (for the bitter I currently have on I could still go a tad warmer, but it's a good compromise for different styles).

And having dropped the pressure a bit the level of carbonation is closer to a traditional hand pumped cask beer - it's still a bit higher than that I think, but nowhere near the level of carbonation of bottled bitters you can buy in the supermarket.

Final point I'll say is I consider myself lucky to have reached a point in my brewing where I can worry about these little details. Having said that, I have a feeling that packaging and dispense, however you do it, is an important but much overlooked aspect of the hobby.

Nicks90

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm lucky that the cellar under my kitchen sits about 10-12c all year round. So my bottles get stored in there for conditioning - which happens to be a great serving temp for most English ales.

Also happens to fall in the perfect temp range for storing wines. Cellars for the win.

Cwrw666

Landlord.
Reaction score
As to oxydation from headspace - it shouldn't matter how much carbonation you use as the quantity of oxygen present will be the same. So only use about 1 cm headspace in either case.

jof

Regular.
Reaction score
I also use low carbonation on my bottles.
Batch priming about 60 - 80g of sugar for a nominal 40 pint batch.
But I do get disappointed by the lack of froth, so for the currently conditioning batch I'm trying 100g - 2.5g per bottle.

Kit-brewer

Reaction score
I think it's close to impossible to replicate the hand pulled mouth-feel of a beer from a bottle. It is easier to achieve with little or no carbonation. The best way to achieve it, in my opinion, is to always decant into a jug, this will get rid of any excess carbonation, then to pout from a reasonable height into a glass. This will aerate the beer as required and give the beer the body of a good hand pulled pint.
I am too lazy to do this often! I am normally just standing with a bottle slurping the excess foam of my glass before topping it up. But as a purely kit maker the nuances of a properly brewed UK style beer will benefit from aeration in this way.

Richard_H

Regular.
Reaction score
If I'm going for a traditional English ale I will always under prime, I will mash at a slightly higher temperature after about 30 minutes to give the beer slightly more body. Also I find they take longer when bottle conditioning, but eventually will produce a nice thick head without much carbonation (sometimes pouring from higher is needed) A small amount of wheat malt also helps.

I have had to use the above jug method with over carbonated beer and that could be a much easier solution

The Furnace Green Brewer

Reaction score
Hi all just finishing a ESB clone made with LME pretty good head rention to the last drop, I do leave my ales for 8-12 weeks to mature.

By the way I am tinking of moving on to cornys how long does the product keep in one?

Latest posts