Flat beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerr

Reaction score
Hi, sorry for the newbie question, I'm sure it's been discussed a million times but have new brewer anxiety with this one!
I'm bottled my second brew, first one was perfect. Second is a mangrove jack Bourbon Barrel and after doing exactly the same(check SG, wait, sterilise bottles, carbonation drops x2 in 500ml bottle etc etc. Just opened two peta bottles admittedly after only 6 days and they're flat as a pancake.

Any advice would be really appreciated as it tastes amazing.. but flat!

Check caps are super tight I had similar prob they loosened or I didn't tighten enough

I've had beers take six weeks to carbonate. Best thing is to use a couple of 50 cl PETs so that you can tell by squeezing them how well the pressure is building up. If they're as flat as a pancake now, bring them into the warm and don't touch till Christmas Eve.

Last edited:
Where are you storing the bottles to carb up? Needs to be at least 18C ideally, so in a cold house this time of year they'll generally carb up more slowly. Mine are taking 2 weeks at the moment.

My latest bottled brew isn't fully carbed after 10 days. It's in the living room but obviously it's cool at nights. For most of us it isn't easy to find somewhere which is consistently warm at this time of year.

Thanks guys, this is all great advice and I feel much better now. I've checked all the caps and moved them into my home office which is warmer. I'll just wait till Christmas eve and fingers crossed its fine.

Back